D’oh! RAID card and 2012

Home Forums Other General Hardware D’oh! RAID card and 2012

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Blood Blood 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Blood

Hi

I’ve just discovered the reason I am unable to install 2012 R2 on our spanking new PowerEdge R210 II server is because Dell do not provide driver support for the Perc S300 RAID card with that OS :(

Anyone have a workaround for this?

I can connect the drives (presently two drives in RAID 1), to the motherboard but I’d rather use hardware RAID for this machine.

Thanks!

wullieb1

Re: D’oh! RAID card and 2012

Blood;284634 wrote:
    Hi

I’ve just discovered the reason I am unable to install 2012 R2 on our spanking new PowerEdge R210 II server is because Dell do not provide driver support for the Perc S300 RAID card with that OS :(

Anyone have a workaround for this?

I can connect the drives (presently two drives in RAID 1), to the motherboard but I’d rather use hardware RAID for this machine.

Thanks!

Have you tried the Server 2012 drivers?? Should be the same I would imagine.

Blood
    Blood

Re: D’oh! RAID card and 2012

Hi, wullieb1

Thanks for responding.

Unfortunately, there is no official 2012 support :(

However, I found a comment (by Geneticus) to a post on Dell’s site that suggested extracting the 2008 R2 drivers from a driver deployment pack. This appears to have worked and 2012 R2 is installing as I type this.

If anybody else experiences this issue you will need to go to Dell’s support site and enter your service tag. On the Drivers section you will see a Dell OS Driver Pack listed. Download that and follow Geneticus’ instructions to extract the PERC drivers:

Download the Drivers for OS Deployment package.
    Extract the contents to a folder using WinRar.
    Navigate to the “payload” folder.
    Extract the drivers.tgz file to another folder
    (Extract the TAR file and then extract the contents of the TAR file)
    Browse to the “W3N37default” folder and copy the contents to use for an “F6” install.

Windows Setup installed the driver (which is for the PERC S100 and PERC S300), and the virtual RAID drive was then visible.

stylus277

Thanks, for following up with the answer to your own question it came in very handy for me today.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.