DNS issues; HELP

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  RicklesP 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • raylward102
    Participant

Inherited a Server 2012 r2 domain (server 2008 functional level); It had 1 DC and 1 dead DC (dead dc, due to hardware failure).  I added a second DC (server 2008).  Clients cannot see domain computers listed under network, but can still access shares using names.  (YES; network discovery is turned on; YES clients have primary and secondary DN servers as the 2 live, functional servers).  When I run NSLOOKUP OurdomainName.Local, returns the name correctly and 4 IP addresses?? (was expecting 3).  3 of the address’s consist of the working master DC, dead DC, and newly added DC.  The unknown fourth IP, is a domain workstation on the network 192.168.0.106.

After combing through DNS records for 192.168.0.106 on the master DC (server 2012 r2),  I’m left wondering about why I find 3 entries for 192.168.0.106. 1 entry as a named workstation a record, 2nd entry as another named workstation record, and lastly, as a (same as parent folder) a record.   What does (same as parent folder) mean?  Why is this workstations IP appearing in my nslookups for the local domain?  Could this be why no one can see computers listed under network?  I haven’t pointed any computers to this 192.168.0.106 but if nslookup is seeing it, could this be my problem?

• This topic was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  biggles77. Reason: Remove the effing stupid formatting code on this suck software (and we though vB5 was bad.)

RicklesP
    Participant

Somehow that PC at ….106 has been added as a DC in your domain, and the previous, failed DC is still there as well.  Time to clean up your domain info (metadata).  Doing a quick search (Google) I found a link that give you commands for ‘ntdsutil’ which should help you, one wrong DC at a time.  The link is:

How to Clean Up Active Directory Domain in Server 2012 R2

In addition to what this page calls out, also make certain there are no AD roles/features/tools on that PC, so it doesn’t become re-added back into the metadata.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.