DNS and IPV6

This topic contains 19 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar ThaHomie 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ghostrocket

Hi all

We dont have an IPV6 scope set up, yet I wondered is there any way to have just IPV4 addresses show in DNS??

Its random some Win 7 clients show an IPV4 address whilst others show IPV6.
    It just makes it a pain for trouble shooting also I am wondering if this is why sometimes I have network/share issues.

Finally is it advisable to disable IPV6 on clients and servers?
    We have 15 staff and one Win 2008 DC, I have googled this and there seems to be a divide.

Thanks

JeremyW
    JeremyW

Re: DNS and IPV6

To stop IPv6 addresses from being registered you can unbind the DNS service from the server’s IPv6 Address (in the DNS server properties).

But IPv6 shouldn’t be causing any share or network issues and I wouldn’t recommend disabling it. There are some Microsoft applications that depend on it (like Exchange 2007 and newer).

ThaHomie

Thanks for that

Maybe a better question would be to how do I assure that both the ipv6 and ipv4 address are pulled into DNS?

JeremyW
    JeremyW

Have you checked the DNS server to see what’s there?
    Are you seeing that computers are not registering their IPv4 address?

What is the problem you are experiencing? It sounds like we may have jumped to a conclusion about IPv6 being an issue when there’s really another cause.

ThaHomie

In essence all my clients are win 7 and as were some register there ipv4 address and ipv6 In DNS some only register the ipv6 address. I would prefer both or at least the ipv4 as we don’t use ipv6 as yet.

ThaHomie

Hi all

Thought I would pass this gem on, the pc’s that didn’t have their IPV4 addresses registering within DNS all had IPV6 disabled.

Would you believe as soon as I enabled IPV6 the IPV4 address appeared.

If anyone can explain why I would be intrigued :)

JeremyW
    JeremyW

What did you do to enable IPv6?
    Are these computers statically configured and if so, did you disable the DHCP client on them?

ThaHomie

The clients are all setup as DHCP, not statically.

To re enable IPV6 I re ticked the tick box on the network adaptor.

I believe my predecessor un ticked it.

JeremyW
    JeremyW

OK, in that case I have no explanation for you. :? Not sure why it’s working now and not before.

ThaHomie

Hi all

sorry thought I would post an update.

My success was short lived, since the DHCP lease have updated I am now only getting the IPV6 addresses.

Other than disabling IPV6 on all clients, of which I dont really what to do because I know in time we will have to work with it. Is there any way to get both addressses in DNS ???

Thanks

JeremyW
    JeremyW

Well, we’re gonna have to start digging.

– Check the event logs on the server and clients for any DHCP, DNS, or network events
    – Check the DNS server bindings
    – Verify server is up-to-date
    – Run an RSoP on a client that is having issues and go through the applied policies to see if anything would affect DNS registration
    – Check a client that is having issues and verify it’s network adapter is configured to register its address in DNS
    – verify client computer are getting the proper primary DNS suffix pushed out to them (either through DHCP or GP)

ThaHomie

Hi there

thanks for the replay I have popped the answers below for you.

– Check the event logs on the server and clients for any DHCP, DNS, or network events ***nothing on event logs on client or server
    – Check the DNS server bindings **** all set as IPV4 first
    – Verify server is up-to-date **** windows updates ran on Weds morning
    – Run an RSoP on a client that is having issues and go through the applied policies to see if anything would affect DNS registration **** we are a very small setup 1 DC 15 clients and 2 gpo’s Trust me there is nothing in there :)
    – Check a client that is having issues and verify it’s network adapter is configured to register its address in DNS **** yes it is
    – verify client computer are getting the proper primary DNS suffix pushed out to them (either through DHCP or GP) **** ipconfig /all shows correct DNS server and shows all lease details from the DC

I have done a flush and register of DNS on one client and can now see both addresses.

Its worth noting that it seems some clients show just the ipv6 or ipv4 address and some show both. Its very random.

Thanks again

JeremyW
    JeremyW

Ghostrocket;255834 wrote:
    – Run an RSoP on a client that is having issues and go through the applied policies to see if anything would affect DNS registration **** we are a very small setup 1 DC 15 clients and 2 gpo’s Trust me there is nothing in there :)

If it’s that small then checking it will be quick. I would do it just in case… ;)

Ghostrocket;255834 wrote:
    – verify client computer are getting the proper primary DNS suffix pushed out to them (either through DHCP or GP) **** ipconfig /all shows correct DNS server and shows all lease details from the DC

But what about the primary DNS suffix?

ThaHomie

Hi there

Nothing in RSop, the policies are very basic.

With regards to the DNS suffix I assume you mean on the client itself if so see screen shot

Thanks

JeremyW
    JeremyW

I see no DNS suffixes. This is required for DNS registration.

JeremyW
    JeremyW

On your DHCP server, make sure you configure option 015 DNS Domain Name with you AD domain name.

ThaHomie

Hi there

it already has the 015 Domain name added

surely i should have to add these manually ?

ThaHomie

also posted a screen shot of ipconfig for you

you can see the suffix

JeremyW
    JeremyW

No need to configured manually. It looks like DHCP is handing out the suffix correctly.

ThaHomie

its bizarre

I have looked on the web and there doesn’t seem to be an answer.

The only way is to completely disable ipv6 on clients but that to me seems a hack not a fix.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.