Disk issues

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  h0me 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • todd231

Not sure what happened, but the DC at work started acting squirrely this morning.

Hooked a monitor up to it and it was at the “Boot into Server 2012” “Repair your PC” or “Shut Down” screen.

I booted into Server 2012 and it basically got stuck in a vicious reboot cycle.

Eventually I was able to get it to get me to a command prompt.

I ran an SFC from the C drive and it found corrupt files and fixed them.

I then ran bootrec.exe /scanos and it found 0 Windows installations.

I had changed drives to c so I did a dir and there were only some eula.txt files and some install.res.dll files.

I changed drive letters to D and it showed our data, company files and whatnot.

I changed drive letters to E and i found my OS drive.

I went into regedit and changed the mounted devices for E to point to C and then changed teh existing C drive to point to G and backed out and rebooted.

Same thing.

Went back into regedit and it had reverted back to teh way it was.

At this point, I fear that I’m stuck.

Has anyone run into this problem before?

h0me

So let’s just get the fact that I’m an idiot out of the way…

When you’re in recovery mode, disks take drive letters on a first come first serve basis. Basically, the C drive (OS Drive) was normal and nothing had changed other than the fact that in rec it was showing as E. Again, long story short, Todd is a tool.

So what happened was the Software Hive was truncated/corrupt. We simply renamed the file in C:WindowsSystem32ConfigSOFTWARE to SOFTWARE.OLD and then copied the file from C:WindowsSystem32ConfigRegBackSOFTWARE and pasted it into C:WindowsSystem32Config to replace the file we renamed. DC came up as normal.

Ossian

Well done – good troubleshooting there :beer: (because you deserve at least one)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.