DHCP Server migration 2012 R2 –> 2012 Standard

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services DHCP DHCP Server migration 2012 R2 –> 2012 Standard

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Blood Blood 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Blood

Anyone moved a DHCP server from 2012 R2 to a 2012 Standard server? The R2 is a domain controller and the Standard is a member server.

My plan is to use netsh to export the settings from one to the other, but I’m not sure if this will work because it is a backwards migration:

netsh dhcp server export C:UsersadministratorDesktopdhcp.txt all

I will do some research, but if anyone has any knowledge of this, please share.

Ossian

Out of curiousity, do you need to export anything?
    In the past I have
    a) reduced lease length to very short
    b) set up (but not activated) scope on new server
    c) disabled scope on old server
    d) waited for lease renewals (remember clients will try to retain the old IP

I appreciate that with a lot of reservations, you might not want to do that, though

Blood
    Blood

Thanks – exporting is not essential, but it does create the scope. It also allows for an immediate migration as Server Manager requests the new server to be authorised, the old server is de-authorised and the present leases are in place. At least, this is how it worked migrating from 2008 to 2012 R2. I only have three reservations.

Blood
    Blood

Did this last night – import did nothing. I had to create the scope, and define the scope options. Just checked it this morning and the server is handing out addresses.

Regarding lease length, it has been set to 8hrs for the last year, so the clients picked up the new server this morning.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.