DHCP relay

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar ahmer_sahab 13 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ssckrp

Sir

I have a vlan where our DHCP server is running. If i have one more vlan ( vlan2), how will the host can communicate with the DHCP server inorder to get the IP?

any configuration pls advise.

DHCP server is on win 2003

switch : HP Procurve L# switch.

regards

Prabu

yaniv

Re: DHCP relay

you can put there another DHCP server and authorise it in active directory i think… something like a dhcp relay

daviddavis

Hi ssckrp,

Your options are:
    1. put another DHCP server on the new VLAN (If you have a lot of VLAN’s, this may not be the best option because you don’t want to have to add a new DHCP server everytime you add a new VLAN)
    2. Configure DHCP-relay on the router that is the default gateway for the second vlan. This router would use the DHCP relay agent (UDP helper) to relay the DHCP broadcasts to the DHCP server on the original VLAN. Here is a link:
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fipr_c/ipcprt1/1cfdhcp.htm#wp1010668
    You would, of course, have to configure trunking on the router for the VLAN’s to use it to communicate (so it can route between the VLAN’s, which are different subnets).

Here is an overview on routing between VLAN’s and trunking, maybe it would help you out:
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fswtch_c/swprt6/xcfvl.htm

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for your post!
    David

theterranaut

Hiya,

further to David’s answer:

-you would also have to set up another DHCP scope to fulfil the
    requests of the devices on your other subnet. All the Windows
    flavours can so this easily, as can many routers, if required.

theterranaut

ssckrp

Thanks to all.. u guys are great..

ssckrp

Thanks to all.. u guys are great..

ahmer_sahab

HI,
    One thing u can do is to put two lan card is your DHCP server. Attach one lan card to one vlan switch port and another lan card with second vlan switch port. Then, create a scope that will contain pool of ip addreses u r going to assign vlan 1 and one scope for addresses u going to assign to vlan 2 computer. Create a superscope by using those two scopes.
    now bind your scopes with appropriate lan card. Binding is available in Advance tab of DHCP server.
    Regard’s
    Champ

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.