Motherboard Intel DH55TC
RAM 16GB (1333 MHz)
HDD two 1TB SATA drives
SMPS 500w Cooler Mater
Few days back I was cleaning my CPU Tower as there was a lot of dust with a hair dryer. I then connected the tower directly to the wallout and powered on the machine. There was a pop sound and my machine now will not power on.
I got it checked at the local store and SMPS is gone. Repair is not an option and now I need to buy a new one.
I just wanted to know can I use a 450W Corsair PSU or I need to buy 500W Cooler Master. Links mentioned below.
I suspect a high quality 450W would do as well as the 500W – in general the better quality the PSU, the closer you can get to its maximum load, and Corsair has a good rep (as does Cooler Master) so it comes down to price and availability
You should also be investigating your mains power to see what might have caused the “pop” – blowing dust out of a PSU should not cause problems, although something could have been shorted out in the process
Was the hairdryer on when you connected the PC – if so it may have been the motor on the dryer upsetting the power. Do you have a UPS or power smoother between the PC and the mains?
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.