Dell Servers

Home Forums Other General Hardware Dell Servers

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar ThaHomie 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ghostrocket

Hi all

Sorry to be a pain, I am looking to build a Dell server and have always used HP or IBM. Usually there is a manager/setup disk that is available that allows RAID configs etc but cannot seem to find something similar for Dell.

I dont mind using the BIOS and Boot Manager but wondered if I am missing a trick?

ta

Ossian

Re: Dell Servers

I suppose it depends on which server, but you should either get bootable media or a startup option to configure the system

zarg

If you are looking for something similar to HP’s SmartStart and firmware update CD then Dell’s equivelents are called “Dell Windows OS install support” and “Systems build & update utility”.

Both should be available via the drivers & downloads section for your server.

joeqwerty

If it’s a new Dell server you can use the Lifecycle Controller to configure RAID and install the OS. The Lifecycle Controller is available during POST.

Anonymous

Be warned: the Dell lifecycle routine is not very stable. Just bought 4 new R720 machines for Hyper-V hosting, and the Lifecycle software wouldn’t accept the license key for our Server 2012 Datacenter edition installs. All media was commercially-produced from Dell and Microsoft, and the keys were from our MS Volume License subscription. When we did just the OS install and manual driver loads, it all runs fine.

If it doesn’t work from the off, don’t waste a lot of time trying to ‘fix’ it. Do it the ‘old-fashioned way’ and move on.

ThaHomie

Thanks all for your replies :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register for this Petri Webinar!

Want to Make Your Backup Storage Unlimited & Ready for the Cloud? – Free Thurrott Premium Account with Webinar Registration!

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 @ 1:00 pm EDT

A Scale-Out Backup storage infrastructure is a must-have technology for your backups. In this webinar, join expert Rick Vanover for a look on what real-world problems are solved by the Scale-Out Backup Repository.

Register Now

Sponsored By