Date format changing to present year.

Home Forums Office Office XP / 2003 General Issues Date format changing to present year.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Ossian 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Blood

Hello

I am using Excel 2003 on an XP Pro SP3 machine whose region is set to English UK.

I have a spreadsheet that I have been using for years and which I have had no problems with until today.

One of the columns is formatted with a custom date format:

Format Cells>Custom>mmm-yy

When I type a date e.g. aug10 it will convert it to Aug-10. That’s fine and is how I expect it to work.

Today, when I type aug10 or aug-10, after pressing the date is displayed as Aug-11. Anything I now type that has a year on or after 01 (2001) is displayed as 11 (2011).

However, anything typed in as mmm00 or earlier displays as expected.

If I re-type mmmdd dates in existing cells they, too, are converted to mmm-11 (except for 00 or earlier).

If I type aug2010 then the date is displayed correctly: Aug-10

Anyone know why this is happening, please? I know that I have a solution in that typing the year as four digits instead of two works, but I would like to understand why this behaviour has changed. Is it related to the recent date corrections provided by Windows Update?

Thanks!

[Edit]
    False Alarm! The short date format under Regional Settings in Control Panel had changed so that the year was displayed first (US style). Changing this to dd/mm/yy fixed it!

Ossian

Re: Date format changing to present year.

Well done for fixing it, and thanks for posting back :beer:

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register for this Petri Webinar!

Want to Make Your Backup Storage Unlimited & Ready for the Cloud? – Free Thurrott Premium Account with Webinar Registration!

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 @ 1:00 pm EDT

A Scale-Out Backup storage infrastructure is a must-have technology for your backups. In this webinar, join expert Rick Vanover for a look on what real-world problems are solved by the Scale-Out Backup Repository.

Register Now

Sponsored By