DataStore large and fragmented

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 7 DataStore large and fragmented

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Blood Blood 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    janetb

Hi,

1. Windows Home Premium 64-bit
    2. C:WindowsSoftwareDistributionDataStore is 781MB
    3. SoftwareDistribution folder is 804 MB
    4. DataStore remains fragmented even after defragging C:
    5. What is best way to reduce the DataStore?

Questions:
    1. If I delete DataStore.edb will it rebuild installation history the next time I update?
    2. If I delete the SoftwareDistribution folder (or all its contents?) will it rebuild itself?

Thanks very much for any help!
    Janet

Ossian

Deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder is possible (best practice to rename, then delete later: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-files/is-it-safe-to-delete-files-under/8d98d924-b0b1-4f2b-bb4b-13f38126c588)
    The datastore is your update history – it can be deleted (see http://www.yethz.com/windows-7-tips/how-to-remove-or-clear-windows-update-history-log-in-windows-7/1772/)

Having said that, neither seems particularly large – 1.5Gb total is not a lot on most drives

Blood
    Blood

DataStore: 893 / SoftwareDistribution: 2.2GB on my work PC

biggles77
    Spectator

DataStore: 669MB / SoftwareDistribution: 1.57GB on my laptop.

The one that annoys me the most is the C:Windowswinsxs folder. At present it is 10GB and I often run cleanmgr (in elevated Administrator mode) to clean it out. If you have a capacity issue try reducing that in size or were you more concerned about the SoftwareDistribution fragmentation? What are you using to defrag your HDD?

wullieb1

Might want to read this

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/library/dn251565.aspx

janetb

Hi Folks,

I usually get notified of any posts, but I did not receive notification of any of the posts on this thread..:-(… Any idea why and what can I do to remedy this?

Any answers for the two questions asked in my original post:
    Questions:
    1. If I delete DataStore.edb will it rebuild installation history the next time I update?
    2. If I delete the SoftwareDistribution folder (or all its contents?) will it rebuild itself?

Blood
    Blood

There’s not a lot of point deleting datastore.edb as the system will rebuild it on the next boot and it will be the same size. You should never touch the softwaredistribution folder.

What would you like to achieve? Are you simply trying to free some storage space on your hard drive? Wullieb1’s link to ‘house keeping’ on the WinSxS folder is your best bet, especially if you have never done this after installing a service pack.

uk_network

1. Your update history will be gone forever.
    2. You can safely delete the entire SoftwareDistribution folder and it will be auto re-created when you restart the Windows update service or restart the computer.

Blood
    Blood
    uk_network;n490805 wrote:
    1. Your update history will be gone forever.
    2. You can safely delete the entire SoftwareDistribution folder and it will be auto re-created when you restart the Windows update service or restart the computer.

The info I was reading from Lawrence Garvin on a MS forum post was that the software distribution folder should never be touched. I understand that sometimes there may be no option when you have run out of troubleshooting ideas, but that does not seem to be the case here (I’m still uncertain what is needed here).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register for this Petri Webinar!

Software-Defined Unlimited Backup Storage

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 @ 1:00 pm EDT

A Scale-Out Backup storage infrastructure is a must-have technology for your backups. In this webinar, join expert Rick Vanover for a look on what real-world problems are solved by the Scale-Out Backup Repository.

Register Now

Sponsored By