Data Deduplication

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Lior_S 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    kket

Hi everyone,
    I am having trouble to experience data deduplication in saving storage space.
    I basically created a virtual server, Windows Server 2012 R2 and only has Data deduplication enabled on the server roles/features. An extra virtual SCSI disk 5GB and set it as K: volume, two .exe files in the volume taking rougly 1GB of space.

[IMG]https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/610908[/IMG]

When I run the data deduplication task and the job processed in less than 10 seconds.
    What have I done wrong?
    Thanks guys

wullieb1

Re: Data Deduplication

Are the exe files the same files?

Lior_S

Hi,

The files are same, all .iso files. Double checked they are in the supported list.

Just created a Storage Pool, a virtual disk, make it as a volume and put loads of .iso files in the volume but still no luck! :neutral::confused::confused:

30GB of virtual SCSI disk
    Used space: 15GB of .iso files

Windows Server 2012 R2

wullieb1

Ok stop the bus.

In your first post you say they are executable files.

On the second they are ISO files. What are they?

Are they identical files located in a different folder?

wullieb1

Have you configured dedup properly?

Quote:
    I basically created a virtual server, Windows Server 2012 R2 and only has Data deduplication enabled on the server roles/features.

This doesn’t mean it is actually configured properly.

Its been a while since i’ve done it and configured it and i don’t have a system available to test at the moment but this technet article should help

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/library/hh831434.aspx

Lior_S

Hey, thanks for the speedy reply.

I am trying different things now. Sorry, forget about the .exe files as I have deleted the volume and now I am using a bigger storage (30GB) and with bigger files to see if it will make any difference, but nope :-?

Currently I’ve got 4 identical .iso (Windows Server 2012 R2) and all located in the root directory of the volume (K:)

Lior_S

wullieb1;289996 wrote:
    Have you configured dedup properly?

This doesn’t mean it is actually configured properly.

Its been a while since i’ve done it and configured it and i don’t have a system available to test at the moment but this technet article should help

Hi,

I have followed the instruction/step by step to configure the server, have used PowerShell and Server Manager to configure Data Deduplication.

The only thing I can think of is, I am doing this in VMware workstation environment…

wullieb1

VMware would have nothing to do with it. It just provides the “hardware” to emulate a system.

I don’t have time tonight, it 930pm here, to spool up a VM and test but if i get a chance tomorrow i will. Be interesting to see if i get the same results.

Lior_S

The virtual server mostly set it up as default.

Installed the server with 2012 R2 image from Microsoft site (Not some dodgy one :mrgreen:).

Spec:
    2 vCPU
    4GB RAM
    15 GB SCSI (C: – Boot disk)
    30GB SCSI (K: – Data Drive)
    All settings are default

Windows Server – new server, apart from data deduplication service is enabled.

It’s really odd… I have visited different blogs and tutorial sites and they have pretty much the same information on how to set this up, but my server just dones’t perform what it’s told lol :-?

Cheers, looking forward to your result!

PS: dedup.png

Lior_S

Can anyone give this a try? It will only take about 15-20 minutes from enabling the feature, transfer some files and test it :mrgreen:

Thanks!

wullieb1

Ok i’ve setup a Server 2012 R2 server and added the DeDup feature.

Created a new drive and formatted it.
    Right clicked it and enabled DeDup as General purpose file server.
    Set the file older thatn to 0 days
    Clicked on the Set Dedup schedule
    Enabled background deduplication and clicked on Ok.

Opened PowerShell as an administrator and ran
    Start-DedupJob –Type Optimization –Volume D:

Checked the status
    Get-DedupStatus

Checked the job
    Get-DedupJob

Now my files are 6.26MB on the disk.

Lior_S

I know what was wrong..

I didn’t set the files older “0” and the default was set to “3” !

Thanks your the man!!!

Just re-read some more info on TechNet and found this…

“If you set MinimumFileAgeDays to 0, deduplication will process all files, regardless of their age. This is suitable for a test environment, where you want to exercise maximum deduplication. In a production environment, however, it is preferable to wait for a number of days (the default is three days in Windows Server 2012 R2 and five days in Windows Server 2012), because files tend to change a lot for a brief period of time before the change rate slows. This allows for the most efficient use of your server resources.”

wullieb1

No problem. Glad it worked.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.