Creating a forest trust

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services DNS Creating a forest trust

This topic contains 42 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar [email protected] 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    uk2us88

am getting the error The new Trust wizard cannot continue because the specified domain cannot be contacted when trying to create a forest trust between separate locations. These servers are separate domains and locations connected via SonicWall site to site VPNs

I have created the secondary DNS zones and can ping and nslookup without problem.

My understanding is that I need to add a SRV record:

DNS Resource Records That Are Required for Secondary Zones

There are two DNS resource records that must be registered properly on the DNS server that hosts the secondary copy of the trusted domain or forest:Service (SRV) resource record (_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.)Host (A) resource recordThese records must be in place and registered properly before you establish a domain or forest trust.

Where exactly do I add this at the root of the forward lookup zone or in the secondary zone?Any insight would be greatful~

There are two DNS resource records that must be registered properly on the DNS server that hosts the secondary copy of the trusted domain or forest:

Service (SRV) resource record (_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.)Host (A) resource record

These records must be in place and registered properly before you establish a domain or forest trust.

Where exactly do I add this at the root of the forward lookup zone or in the secondary zone?

Any insight would be greatful~

joeqwerty

Re: Creating a forest trust

Instead of adding secondary zones in each domain for the opposing domains DNS why not just set up conditional forwarders in each domain for the opposing domains DNS?

-MH-

reading technet etc. it would seem that secondary is preferred?

joeqwerty

I don’t know that I’ve ever read that one is preferred over the other but I’ve always used conditional forwarders with good success.

-MH-

OK created a conditional forwarder… do I have to do one on both domains?

joeqwerty

Yes. In each domain you need to set up a conditional forwarder for the other domain.

-MH-

Still having the same issue? Do i need to add a reverse look up too?

joeqwerty

No. rDNS zones aren’t used in any way, shape or form in AD. Did you delete the secondary zones that you had created earlier? If not, do so. Then flush the DNS client cache and the DNS server cache on each DC/DNS server and try again.

-MH-

Done the above and still no dice….. this shouldn’t be this hard!

joeqwerty

Yeah. I’ve created forest trusts many times using conditional forwarders and have never had issues. Possible VPN problem? Can you nslookup the appropriate SRV records for each domain from the opposing domain? Any VPN traffic rules that may be blocking traffic?

-MH-

joeqwerty;283047 wrote:
    Yeah. I’ve created forest trusts many times using conditional forwarders and have never had issues. Possible VPN problem? Can you nslookup the appropriate SRV records for each domain from the opposing domain? Any VPN traffic rules that may be blocking traffic?

I couldn’t until I put in the IP addresses in each host file. The sites are connected with a Site to Site VPN with two Sonicwalls.

joeqwerty

What did you put in the hosts file and where? It sounds like the VPN may be part of the issue. Remove the entries you put in the hosts file and flush the DNS client cache on each server (ipconfig/flushdns).

-MH-

OK, removed entries. Completed the flush and still the same issue. Maybe I need to wait until the morning? its becoming frustrating….

joeqwerty

Taking a break sounds like a good idea. Fresh eyes in the morning might lead us to a solution.

-MH-

still working on this and no luck. When i do a nslookup on the domain it cant find it over the VPN. Is there any tweaks I could do to “trick” the servers into finding each other?

joeqwerty

It really sounds like a VPN or routing issue to me. Here’s what I’m guessing:

1. The servers at each site don’t have a specific route to the opposing network and the traffic from one site to the other (and vice versa) is not transiting the VPN link. I don’t work with VPN’s much but if the traffic from one site to the other is going to a different Default Gateway or is not being routed properly by the VPN connection then that would explain it.

What happens if you run tracert from one DC to a DC in the other site? Does the traffic go through the VPN? If not then that’s the problem.

Also, can you post the ip addressing info for one of the servers at each site and for both sides of the VPN? Can you also post the routing table from those servers?

joeqwerty

Also, can you post a screen shot of the conditional forwarders from each side?

-MH-

tracert gives one hop to the other domain

Tracing route to dc1.hills [192.168.1.2]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 33 ms 73 ms 42 ms dc1.hills [192.168.1.2]

Trace complete.

Same coming back the other way just naming different and IP is 192.168.2.2

They do go out on different gateways as they are on different subnets.

DC1 goes through 192.168.1.1 Server 2008
    DC2 goes through 192.168.2.1 Server 2003

-MH-

Heres the conditional forwarder on the 08 machine… about the same on the 03 machine

joeqwerty

So you did a tracert for the host name in the other domain and it resolved. So DNS is working?

Since the tracert resolves in 1 hop I’m assuming that the VPN is acting as a bridge?

192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 are the ip addresses of the VPN endpoints on the firewall?

-MH-

correct…

They go through sonicwalls and the VPN setup in there

joeqwerty

So from one DC if you nslookup the FQDN of the other domain does it work or no? Can you post the nslookup output?

-MH-

here you go

joeqwerty

OK, so nslookup is working. So that means that DNS is working. Does the trust setup still fail?

-MH-

Yes… See attached

joeqwerty

OK, Duh moment for me. Are you using the FQDN or the NetBIOS name of the domain when setting up the trust?

-MH-

the FQDN “servername.local” then the domain name on the 2nd screen.

joeqwerty

I don’t understand. I’m running through this in a lab and there’s only one field that needs input, the Name: field. What are you putting there? Can you post screen shots of the wizard?

-MH-

new trust wizard –> Trsust name (FQDN is what I use of server) –> trust type I select trust with windows domain… this is where it errors.

joeqwerty

OK, so you’re saying that in the Name: field you’re putting the name of the server? If so, that’s the problem. You need to put the name of the domain (domain.local or whatever). The conditional forwarders allow the Trust wizard to find the servers for the domain.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.