Considering upgrading to Win Server 2019

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2019 Considering upgrading to Win Server 2019

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Russell Smith Russell Smith 18 hours, 9 minutes ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • Heera
    Participant

My homelab is nothing special, just a retired gaming PC that I use for file sharing/plex/testing, etc. After seeing that 2019 can do in-place upgrades now I’m considering upgrading from 2016 to test it out.

As of now I have a bunch of stuff running in a couple Ubuntu Server VMs (Hyper-V). Minecraft server, MySQL server, some random home automation scripts, etc. As a developer I use lxss on my W10 desktop often, and I’ve been excited at the idea of using lxss on my server for these things instead of a VM. I’m thinking of some pros/cons and was wondering if anyone had any to add. Here’s what I have:

Pros for lxss:

• Near native performance

• More efficient memory and disk usage

• Easy access to host filesystem (no need to set up network shares, etc)

Pros for Hyper-V (cons for lxss):

• Much more portable, e.g. can live migrate to my desktop if I need to shutdown the server, or can easily start up again if the server OS needs to be reset, or move to an HDD if the SSD is running out of space

• Segregated from host OS for security

• Backups are much easier through snapshots

• More control over distro used, can run desktop GUI

Since my use case is mostly personal stuff and I’m not too worried about data integrity (stuff like the MC server is already stored on my host drive through a network share and backed up from there) or security. However the portability factor seems like a huge pro to me.

I’m probably missing a bunch of points though, anyone got any?

• This topic was modified 4 days, 20 hours ago by Tim Tim.
    Russell Smith
    Russell Smith
    Participant

I guess it depends on what you use the Ubuntu VMs for. WSL can’t run persistent services, daemons, jobs, as background tasks. But a VM can. For my personal use case, if I had a dedicated server with enough resources, I’d probably stick to VMs.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.