connecting to internet without default gateway?

Home Forums Networking General Networking connecting to internet without default gateway?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gforceindustries 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bspkumar

I have seen a interview question provided by Daniel Petri as follows,

Can a workstation computer be configured to browse the Internet and yet NOT have a default gateway?

My answers : Dial-up internet connection does not requires the configuration of default gateway. The default gateway is present in the ISP itself. However, the default gateway has to be configured to connect to Internet using a broadband connection.

Do my answer correct?Have I understand the question correctly?

Thank you for your time.

Dumber
    Participant

Re: connecting to internet without default gateway?

Well the answer is IMHO actually:
    Yes the workstation can browse the Internet without a Default gateway when a proxy server is used.
    Else, without the Default gateway, a client can’t find the routes to the different web published resources.

Re: connecting to internet without default gateway?

I don’t think there’s much of a difference between broadband and dial-up connections. What I suspect you mean by “the default gateway is present in the ISP itself” is that many people with a broadband connection use a router which is the default gateway for their LAN. If you login to the router though, you’ll see that its default gateway is the IP address for your ISP’s server.

While I’ve not used dial-up for a while so can’t double check, I would suspect that if you check ipconfig or similar while connected, you’ll see that the ISP’s DHCP server has configured the default gateway address for your connection.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.