Commands that do not run in a single script

Home Forums Scripting PowerShell Commands that do not run in a single script

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  srinivasaai 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • peterhala

Hi,

To me this is an obscure problem. I have found some commands need to be separated/delayed or they do not execute. I have seen this when running commands on a remote system. For example the following script (run from a workstation against a local server) _almost_ creates a folder, shares it and then tweaks the share permissions

New-Item \fs99e$usersTESTy9a1.McTestFace$ -itemType Directory

Enter-PSSession -ComputerName fs99

$cim1 = get-CimSession -ComputerName fs99

new-smbshare -name “TESTy9a1.McTestFace$” -path e:usersTESTy9a1.McTestFace$ -CimSession $cim1

grant-smbshareaccess TESTy9a1.McTestFace$ -accountname Everyone -accessright Full -CimSession $cim1 -Confirm:$false

The script fails on the third line, saying smbshare is not a recognized command. If I split these commands into two files as follows, taking care NOT to close the remote session between running the scripts –

Script1:

New-Item \fs99e$usersTESTy9a1.McTestFace$ -itemType Directory

Script2:

$cim1 = get-CimSession -ComputerName fs99

new-smbshare -name “TESTy9a1.McTestFace$” -path e:usersTESTy9a1.McTestFace$ -CimSession $cim1

grant-smbshareaccess TESTy9a1.McTestFace$ -accountname Everyone -accessright Full -CimSession $cim1 -Confirm:$false

It works fine; the split means my smb commands ARE being run on the remote system. However I have not changed the commands or the order in which they are run. So I’m missing something fundamental about the way these commands are queued or separated. Can you tell me what?

Thanks!

Pete

wullieb1

This might sound daft but why not, if you’re already creating the PSSession, run all the commands after creating the session.

#Connect to the remote system

#Create the folder
    New-Item e:usersTESTy9a1.McTestFace$ -itemType Directory

#Create the new share
    new-smbshare -name “TESTy9a1.McTestFace$” -path e:usersTESTy9a1.McTestFace$
    grant-smbshareaccess TESTy9a1.McTestFace$ -accountname Everyone -accessright Full-Confirm:$false[/CODE]

I haven’t tested this as i don’t have access to a remote system to do so at the moment but that should help you in the interim.
    [CODE]#Connect to the remote system

#Create the folder
    New-Item e:usersTESTy9a1.McTestFace$ -itemType Directory

#Create the new share
    new-smbshare -name “TESTy9a1.McTestFace$” -path e:usersTESTy9a1.McTestFace$
    grant-smbshareaccess TESTy9a1.McTestFace$ -accountname Everyone -accessright Full-Confirm:$false[/CODE]

I haven’t tested this as i don’t have access to a remote system to do so at the moment but that should help you in the interim.

srinivasaai

Hi Wullieb1,

Thanks for the reply. Running the commands in one go is exactly what I want to do but it fails on me. I should explain I have a script that I run from an AD member workstation. I run it from there partly because that makes me debug my code (avoid having stuff that only works in one place) and partly because I’m executing commands from several PS modules – PS, PS AD & PS Exchange. I only included the middle bit of code to avoid muddying the water but the program flow is:

– Create a Mailbox/AD account
    – Create the folders the AD account needs
    – Lockdown/customise the AD account

It works as three scripts but I’d like to make it one just for neatness.

Kind regards,

Pete

wullieb1

Can you post the full santised script?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.