Comitted RAM

Home Forums Other General Hardware Comitted RAM

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar waikikiledesma 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    loureed4
    Participant

Hello,

I am not sure that this is happening to me because I am a non-native English speaker, but I am failing to understand what “committed memory” is.

In my case, the Virtual machine has 2 GB RAM allocated but the committed memory is 4.5 GB . Is that what the machine is asking for, 4.5 GB RAM ?

I attach an image.

Thanks in advance.

Ossian

It is the total memory (physical and virtual) allocated to the computer

shefi

Thanks Ossian.

​Yet, the host has a total of 8 GB RAM, and I allocated only 2 GB for this virtual machine. I still don’t understand it.

Thanks once more! :)

Ossian

Use :google: (other search engines exist) to read up on virtual memory and page files – it is using drive space to simulate extra memory

shefi

I don’t mean to be rude here Ossian but if one is always asked to use a search engine, what is the point of an IT forum?.

Well, I guess it is for asking advanced question, which otherwise are difficult to be solved. I apologize, if it is so. :)

Ossian

(sigh)… I gave you the one line explanation that virtual memory is making use of disk drive space to pretend the computer has more memory than it actually has, but there is a lot more to it, hence the suggestion to refer to other sources. I am not sure what more you want

shefi

Sorry if I bothered you. I didn’t mean to. You are REALLY helpful here. I apologize.

Google is my best friend!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.