Clients show up wrongly in Network Neighborhood

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro Clients show up wrongly in Network Neighborhood

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  rvalstar 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
  • danielp

Hi,

Quick question, I couldn’t find a solution to it:

1200 client computers, all XP SP2. Many computers have a description in their System Properties > Computer Name tab. Most computers do not have it. Network is Win2003 AD-based.

When looking at Network Neighborhood, most computers show up with their computer names. However any computer that has a description is shown like this:

Computername
    Computername
    (Description) Computername
    Computername
    Computername

This is simply annoying. Removing the description fixes it, but I would like to keep the description. It’s worth knowing that most computers are image-based, made from one parent Ghost image (done properly, sysprep and all).

Anyone know why this happens and what can be done to correct it?

wullieb1
    Participant

Re: Clients show up wrongly in Network Neighborhood

This is probably way off track for what your looking for but i can select how my ADUC displays this by going to View then Add/Remove Columns then either moving them up or down as needed.

Sorry that was way off track.

After having a look under Network Neighbourhood there is an option that basically does the same thing.

Go to View, Choose Details and in here you can move the details as you please.

rvalstar

In Windows Explorer, you can specify Details (columns) to view (only Name and Comment are available). Comment is the “Description” but Name becomes “Description (ComputerName)” for a non-blank “Description”. That is just annoying.

Only thing I can think of to fix this cute little Bob-like feature is to blank out the description or prefix it with ComputerName. The value is here:

Quote:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServiceslanmanserverparameters]
    “srvcomment”=”Annoying Description”

Tried putting “%COMPUTERNAME% – ” at the front but it does not get resolved.

If I wanted a “cute” computer, I would have bought a Mac!!!

So unless someone out there has a better answer, you have 3 choices:

1) Live with it

2) Blank out the description by playing a .REG file setting “srvcomment”=””

3) Making a VBS to change “Annoying Description” to “%COMPUTERNAME% – Annoying Description” and living with Network Neighborhood showing “%COMPUTERNAME% – Annoying Description (%COMPUTERNAME%)”

JeremyW

Um… http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330193

Apparently there was a patch for this included in sp2 but you need to modify the registry to activate it.

rvalstar

To paraphrase Wayne and Garth:

“I’m not worthy”

:beer:

We need a vino icon as this beer bit doesn’t work for me ;-)

danielp

JeremyW;53717 wrote:
    Um… http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330193

Apparently there was a patch for this included in sp2 but you need to modify the registry to activate it.

That was it! Thanks man!

JeremyW

No problemo

rvalstar

So I merged the following REG file to both WXP and W2K3 and both worked without reboot or logoff (may have to exit and re-run Windows Explorer):

Quote:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionpoliciesExplorer]
    “ToggleCommentPosition”=dword:00000001

Now the machine displays as %COMPUTERNAME% (Description).

I did not try it for HKCU as I want to make sure all users, not just domain users, see the fix.

NOTE to Designer of this Web Site Software: You have a bug. There is no space in “Current” yet it displays as “Curr ent”

danielp

Nice! Thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.