Characteristics of a NAS for the VMware vSphere hypervisor (ESXi) 5.0.0 U1

Home Forums Virtualization VMware Virtualization Characteristics of a NAS for the VMware vSphere hypervisor (ESXi) 5.0.0 U1

This topic contains 20 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  handrian 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
  • balubeto

Hi

I want to know if the TS-259 Pro+ NAS is perfectly compatible with VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 5.0.0 U1?

Thanks

Bye

Ossian

Re: TS-259 Pro and ESXi 5.0.0 U1

Let me intoduce you to a very helpful, but little known, web site called :google:
    You type in a question and it shows you helpful websites that may give an answer.

In this case, it leads to:
    http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/search.php

handrian

ESXi 5.0.0 U1 and two-bay NAS

Hi

Where can I find the two-bay NAS that are fully compatible with VMware vSphere hypervisor (ESXi) 5.0.0 U1?

Thanks

Bye

Ossian

Re: ESXi 5.0.0 U1 and two-bay NAS

Do you bother to read answers to your previous questions? :evil:

http://forums.petri.com/showpost.php?p=260041&postcount=2

handrian

Ossian;260041 wrote:
    Let me intoduce you to a very helpful, but little known, web site called :google:
    You type in a question and it shows you helpful websites that may give an answer.

In this case, it leads to:
    http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/search.php

in this list, how do I filter only the two-bay NAS?

Thanks

Bye

Ossian

Ask your servants to do it? :evil:

How about using the Keyword filter?

wullieb1

Threads merged.

Please keep related questins together.

This is the link to the search for your device.
    http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/vcl/result.php?search=TS-259+Pro+NAS&searchCategory=Storage+Array

I will not filter any further for you as you should be capable of doing that yourself and i have no idea what the model number is.

handrian

TS-259 Pro+ and ESXi 5.0.0 U1

Hi

I want to know if the TS-259 Pro+ NAS works perfectly with VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 5.0.0 U1?

By chance, someone has tried to work with this couple of products?

Thanks

Bye

Dumber

Re: TS-259 Pro+ and ESXi 5.0.0 U1

Why doublepost?
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=60462

wullieb1

Are you really serious.

This is the 2nd time i’ve merged a double post on this same issue.

Please use your exisitng thread for question regarding this.

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=60462

handrian

So, has anyone tried to work with the TS-259 Pro+ NAS and the VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 5.0.0 U1?

Thanks

Bye

Ossian

FFS, you have asked the SAME question at least 3 times.
    Please refer to the forum rules about (a) double posting and (b) bumping posts.

To remind you, people here give up their free time to help others and IF someone can give you an answer, they will when they are in a position to do so. If no-one give an answer, it probably means no-one has used the same hardware. Does the VMWare compatibility list (see various links above) not tell you if it is compatible?

Repeatedly asking the same thing just gets people irritated. Irritated mods have a number of options available including a permanent ban from the site. :evil:

wullieb1

balubeto;260307 wrote:
    So, has anyone tried to work with the TS-259 Pro+ NAS and the VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 5.0.0 U1?

Thanks

Bye

Since this question has been active for over a week and no-one has respondied with a positive it would be safe to assume that no one has ever used it.

Have you ever thought about just trying it and seeing if you can get it to work the way you want it to??

Alternatively try the VMware community and ask there where there will probably be a larger audience and as such more people may have used it.

handrian

Characteristics of a NAS for the VMware vSphere hypervisor (ESXi) 5.0.0 U1

Hi

What are the characteristics that must have a NAS to work correctly with the VMware vSphere hypervisor (ESXi) 5.0.0 U1?

Thanks

Bye

Ossian

Re: Characteristics of a NAS for the VMware vSphere hypervisor (ESXi) 5.0.0 U1

Is this by any chance related to your other thread?http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=60462

As a guess “on the compatibility list” is a good starting point

Dumber

A NAS or a SAN should be able to handle enough IOPs to host the VMs.
    Depending on the number of VMs and the application workload you should be able to calculate the number of IOPs.
    If you are looking for a certain vendor, the compatibility list is the place to start.

handrian

For you, how many IOPS have to manage a NAS to work correctly with ESXi 5.0.0 U1, working simultaneously on four VMs, and with a intensive section of file-sharing managed directly from the Download Station of the NAS?

Thanks

Bye

Dumber

Dunno, it depends. what are the 4 VM’s doing, what is intensive file sharing….?

Ossian

After following these various NAS related threads for some time, IMHO your best solution would be to hire an experienced VMWare consultant who will look at your current environment and requirements and recommend a bespoke solution.

At present we know little about your setup and any answers can only be in such general terms that they may not be very helpful

handrian

Dumber;260412 wrote:
    Dunno, it depends. what are the 4 VM’s doing, what is intensive file sharing….?

A VM is used to the classic work of the office, another do from a small LAN Server. While the other two VMs are used to develop different projects.

With regard to the Download Station, it must also be able to seamlessly share at least 8 files with the BitTorrent protocol, and 10 files with the ed2k protocol.

Thanks

Bye

Dumber

Bittorrent file sharing is not very common on any storage vendor, just like the Ed2k protocol. Filesharing within a network is usually CIFS(also called SMB) or NFS.

For a virtual environment I wouldn’t go for just 2 disks as the TS259 supports. At least not for any production environment.
    I concur with Tom to hire a consultant. He should be able to investigate the environment, talk about future (say next 3 years) and make appropriate advices.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.