Can I write script to configure group policy in Windows7

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 7 Can I write script to configure group policy in Windows7

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar fcasco 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sahjaykumar

I want to configure Group Policy In windows7 prgramatically any script will be fine. I searched a lot on google but did not find anything. Basically I want to stop all kind of DV/DVD burning feature, I know there is registry tweak but I don’t want to do because I need to login log off.

Please suggest if anyone have solution

Ossian

Re: Can I write script to configure group policy in Windows7

Is this in a domain or a workgroup?
    And did you look at the existing posts in the forum — the thread immediately underneath yours (http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=60427) is called “Edit a GPO field from a script”

sahjaykumar

My machines are in workgroup, they are just local users. I tried many scripts but they didn’t worked. The last option I have is using UI automation I can mimic the mouse events and simulate the actions but that is not the exact solution I am looking for.
    I want to make it in such a way if I give it to users they just pass argument enable/disable and it performs silently

Ossian

So you want users (presumably local admins) to edit their own local policy?
    Why not use the standard tools?

What have you tried, and what hasnt worked?

pjhutch

The RSAT tools with Windows 2008 R2 and 7 provide some scripting functionality:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee461027.aspx

fcasco

If you are just talking about user machines on a local workgroups, why not just script the registry entries. At the end of the day, Group Policy objects just corrospond to registry entires, so if you figure out what the policy changes in the registry, just script em in.

lauram

If you are looking for the setting, it can be found under User Configuration/ Administrative Templates/ Windows Components/ Windows Explorer in the Group Policy editor. It would seem that you have an environment without Active Directory however and you still want to lock this feature out on all systems. As mentioned above, the only way to script the policy would be to script editing the registry. You could save the below as a .reg file and add it to a script:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesExplorer]
    “NoCDBurning”=dword:00000001
    [/CODE]
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]Scripting of Group Policy is only available in tools for Active Directory, such as the previously mentioned RSAT and the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) which is a part of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP).[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Brandon[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][CODE]
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesExplorer]
    “NoCDBurning”=dword:00000001
    [/CODE]

Scripting of Group Policy is only available in tools for Active Directory, such as the previously mentioned RSAT and the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) which is a part of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP).

Brandon
    Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register for this Petri Webinar!

Want to Make Your Backup Storage Unlimited & Ready for the Cloud? – Free Thurrott Premium Account with Webinar Registration!

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 @ 1:00 pm EDT

A Scale-Out Backup storage infrastructure is a must-have technology for your backups. In this webinar, join expert Rick Vanover for a look on what real-world problems are solved by the Scale-Out Backup Repository.

Register Now

Sponsored By