Birthday Laptop Upgrade

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 10 Birthday Laptop Upgrade

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kyuuketsuki 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts

  • Kyuuketsuki
    Participant
    #167033

    OK,

    So, it’s my birthday today and I got something I wanted, a Windows 10, 11½” laptop which is exactly what I wanted. It was cheap and, on the plus side, It has 4GB memory (apparently upgradeable to 8GB), a true Celeron (rather than an atom) and the power seems to last forever. However, like I say, it was cheap and that means it has limitations, the main one being a 32GB eMMC drive.

    I realise there is no way that drive can be upgraded however the machine does have a USB port in the back and, conveniently, I have a low profile, 64GB USB drive I could plug into it. So, my question is how can I use that most effectively? An obvious use is to use the USB for data (or potentially as a mountpoint?) but I wondered if there was anything else I could do? Also, if any of this is workable, any pointers?

    I would like to upgrade it to W10 pro but right now, with only 13GB space left, that’s not really a goer.

    Thx

    Keke


    Ossian
    Moderator
    #191671

    Rather than the USB drive, which will make it less portable, plus the risk of breaking, does it have an SD card slot – if so a 128 (or even 64) GB SD card will do wonders for you. Move all profile folders to it (docs, pictures etc) and if you feel adventurous, use the registry to move the whole profile folder

    For the external drive, IMHO don’t use a mountpoint as you will not always have it connected. Redirection is easier


    Kyuuketsuki
    Participant
    #312512
    Ossian;n510792 wrote:
    Rather than the USB drive, which will make it less portable, plus the risk of breaking, does it have an SD card slot – if so a 128 (or even 64) GB SD card will do wonders for you. Move all profile folders to it (docs, pictures etc) and if you feel adventurous, use the registry to move the whole profile folder

    To be fair, my USB is fairly low profile but point taken.

    I could do that … found a youtube video that explained how :)

    Ossian;n510792 wrote:
    For the external drive, IMHO don’t use a mountpoint as you will not always have it connected. Redirection is easier

    Got it :)

    EDIT: I tested the low profile USB drive (FAT32) using a utility at usbflashspeed.com with the following result: http://usbflashspeed.com/231280. I couldn’t submit the eMMC speed (NTFS) but it seemed to be coming in around twice the speed. That seemed to be faster than the SSHD in my desktop and, indeed, the same USB in my desktop (http://usbflashspeed.com/231279) … it was also interesting how much slower the USB in a USB2 port. Anyway, I suppose one question is how fast and reliable are SDHCs (I know there have been USB port revisions but I’ve heard nothing with respect to SDHC ports)?

    Thx

    Keke


    Kyuuketsuki
    Participant
    #312513

    OK,

    So I ordered a Toshiba Exceria 128Gb MicroSD (with adapter) which reportedly came in at 90MB/s. I read that as 90 megabytes.

    It arrived and I was met with two problems I hadn’t anticipated:

    • The adapter stuck perhaps 1.5cm out from the laptop … this is rectifiable by buying a low profile adapter off eBay (done that).
    • The speed rating doesn’t come close to what I expected, something like 9MB/s. My 64Gb low profile USB comes at around 150MB/s (30MB/s in a USB 2 slot).

    This lead me to consider the speeds of the various busses and can only conclude that the SD bus (it says “SD” on the laptop, not “SDHC” or anything) but one page I looked at suggested the SD speed is not limited by the bus which seems unlikely.

    My problem (of course) is that I have no real way to test the chip in a USB adapter, the only one I have is really old and doesn’t even recognise the new SD card.

    Oh well.

    Keke


    Ossian
    Moderator
    #191679

    The speed will be 90 megaBITS per second, so about 11 mBYTES. with some overhead, 9 is about right.

    TBH, if you are using it for file storage, that should be ample – I stream audio and movies off an SD Card

    I know your pain with the adapter profile – my Surface Book is the same (Surface Pro has a MicroSD slot, so completely concealed, but the book has a standard low profile slot, not even on the tablet section, so you cant detach the keyboard and keep working with it…

    btw, Happy (belated) Birthday!


    Kyuuketsuki
    Participant
    #312514
    Ossian;n510944 wrote:
    The speed will be 90 megaBITS per second, so about 11 mBYTES. with some overhead, 9 is about right.

    Actually it does appear to be megabytes/sec … it turns out that on the back of the packet, the bit I don’t read, it says 1MB/S = 1.000.000 bytes. Hey, I’m a man and an IT professional and it was hidden in lots of other statements apparently saying the same thing in many other languages, LOL.

    I confirmed this by buying a USB 3 SD card reader and using it in the laptop’s USB 3.0 port: http://usbflashspeed.com/232997

    The same test in the USB 2.0 is much lower, just over 35MB/S and later tests on the SD slot reveal it to be much the same speed (a little slower) so my best guess is the SD slot is connected to the same chip as the USB 2.0 ports.

    Ossian;n510944 wrote:
    TBH, if you are using it for file storage, that should be ample – I stream audio and movies off an SD Card

    True enough :)

    Ossian;n510944 wrote:
    I know your pain with the adapter profile – my Surface Book is the same (Surface Pro has a MicroSD slot, so completely concealed, but the book has a standard low profile slot, not even on the tablet section, so you cant detach the keyboard and keep working with it…

    Oh wow! That’s not good.

    Ossian;n510944 wrote:
    btw, Happy (belated) Birthday!

    Thank you kindly, hard to believe I’m as old as I am :)

    Keke

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.