Best practise to backup Exchange 2003

Home Forums Messaging Software Exchange 2000 / 2003 Best practise to backup Exchange 2003

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tvang 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
  • tvang

Hi

What is the best practise to backup Exchange 2003 with BackupExec 12/12.5?

My configuration now is:

FULL on freday. Takes backup of the Microsoft Information Store.
    DIFF on Mon-thur.

Do I have enough backup to restore Exchange?
    h

Re: Best practise to backup Exchange 2003

tvang;138441 wrote:
    Do I have enough backup to restore Exchange?

When you test restoring from your backups, what do you see?

How are you backing up Exchange – are you just backing up the relevant directories as files (bad) or are you using the Symantec Agent for Exchange to backup the database (good)?

If I steal one of your tapes, how does that affect you if you have to recover?

Also, why is this in the Windows forum? Thread flagged. Please read the rules.

tvang

Im using Symantec Agent for Exchange.

The data in placed in a secure server hall with 50 camera, and steel door. No one can steal it. And two copy in different place in the country.

Backup history is 30 days.

But all I need is backup of the Microsoft Information Store??

And…

Sorry for the wrong placed thread….. I tried to delete it, and re-create it.

tvang;138450 wrote:
    No one can steal it. And two copy in different place in the country

You’re missing the point. Ok then, what if I don’t steal it. What if the backup fails, or gets corrupted. What then.

As I said – when you test the backups you’ve taken, what do you see. Were you able to recover from it.

tvang

If FULL is corrupt or failed, the backup I can use will be one week old.
    We check the jobs every day. If a FULL or DIFF is failed, we restart the job.

When I restore I see the contents in The information store, mailbox, e-mail elements

Does what you see make you confident that you could recover your Exchange system after a failure?

If so, then you’ve answered your own question.

Sembee

I don’t bother with Diffs, waste of time.
    Full Information Store only every night. I don’t want to have to restore multiple bits of data if I need to restore five days after the last full backup.

You only need the information store. If you are selecting Mailboxes and Public Folders then you are basically backing up everything twice.

Simon.

tvang

Ok, So backup of the information store with Symantec Agent will be enough if I need to restore whole Exchange or a users mailbox?

Sembee

tvang;138464 wrote:
    Ok, So backup of the information store with Symantec Agent will be enough if I need to restore whole Exchange or a users mailbox?

Yes. It will provide a full backup of the store. TO recover a user’s mailbox then you would have to go through the RSG method, but the data will be there.

Simon.

tvang

Thanks for answer :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.