Best Practice followed by Professional and Your Experience, regarding AD Backup

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services Active Directory Best Practice followed by Professional and Your Experience, regarding AD Backup

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Ossian 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Parampe
    Participant

Hi All,

IF you have 15,000+ Domain User and around 35 Domain Controller spread all over World.

Can you please let me know Which are the Best Practice do you follow and your experience, regarding Backup of Active Directory.

Can you please share your Good and Bad experience regarding AD Backup, which you have followed and what changes you have done to your Backup policy, if you had bad experience regarding AD Backup / AD restoration.

Just a Thought :- Can we use AD Snapshot with following command daily via Schedule Task Daily on All Domain Controller.

@echo off
    ntdsutil snapshot “activate instance ntds” create quit quit
    exit

Regards,
    Param

Ossian

A bit old, but as a general rule, snapshots are NOT a backup.

Since AD will replicate (eventually) to all DCs, simply do a system state backup of one DC – preferably the FSMO holder or at least in a site with the majority of your users and use that to do anappropriate restore.

I use Veeam and back up a single DC in my main site – I have not had to do a recovery, but don’t expect any difficulties

Note that you should also make sure the AD recycle bin is enabled, to allow the restore of deleted objects

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.