Are IT Certifications Worth It?

Home Forums General Chat Career Development Are IT Certifications Worth It?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Russell Smith Russell Smith 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Russell Smith
    Participant

Do you have any professional qualifications and do you think they are worth obtaining?

Are IT Certifications Worth It?

JeremyW
    JeremyW

Hey Russell, nice article.

I personally think certs are a good thing. I never pursued a cert for getting a job or more money. It’s always been to learn the product and I’ve found that going after the cert helped me learn all areas better and explore areas that I wouldn’t use normally.

wullieb1

Oh good Windows NT 4, have you reapplied the service pack after changing the IP address lol.

I’ve been in and around IT for nearly 20 years now, god i feel really old :(, and started with NT. In 2002 i looked to advance my career and eventually obtained my MCSE in Server 2000, damn you 70-216 m ore commonly know as the beast, after first getting Network+.

While i don’t think that certs are necessarily a necessity these day i personally try go get them as i want to validate my skillset to me which if i don’t study to achieve something then i will generally skim over the books or material that i would read, hence why i’ve continued to get certified over the years.

Russell Smith
    Russell Smith
    Participant

Thanks JeremyW. I agree with you entirely.

Wullieb1, I also got MSCE 2000 but never bothered to update it. Partly because I never needed it to get a job once I’d got experience. But nevertheless, I do think certs are of value to people starting out.

JeremyW
    JeremyW

@ossian, you have a mile long line of certs. You want to chime in? :)

Ossian

Sorry, haven’t been on for a while….

I have mixed feelings on certification

As an MCT, I am supposed to be certified in every course I deliver (hence the mile-long line of certs)     However, there are some areas I am more than happy doing, but don’t have the official certification in it (and times I have not got work because I don’t have something ridiculously low level like an ECDL)

If you’re not needing the certs to jump through some sort of paper hoop, I would say that practical experience outweighs certifications, especially when some certifications are of doubtful provenance (I knew someone who managed to get a full MCSE – 7 exams – in 7 days…. allegedly he worked really hard, but I suspect some dodgy activities were involved)

Russell Smith
    Russell Smith
    Participant

I was able to pass a Vista MCP exam ago some years ago without any preparation. But then I have years of experience and I would expect that most MCP exams in my area I could pass without any study. What I find is that often people who have experience without any formal training have gaps in their knowledge and end up expending a lot of administrative effort to do things that should be relatively simple. Or avoid tools, like Group Policy and PowerShell, because they can be difficult to understand if you haven’t studied them in detail. I agree that certs are not a necessity once you’ve got the core concepts down and have experience to go with it. But I think they can be valuable at the start of your career and make life easier on the job.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.