Applying computer settings hangs – Ass-wear’s problem

Home Forums Server Operating Systems SBS 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / 2011 Applying computer settings hangs – Ass-wear’s problem

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar AndyJG247 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    ASS-Ware
    hfctpl;102161 wrote:
    It seems that after I setup SBS Monitoring, that when I reboot my NEW sbs 2003 R2 server – that it hangs at : “Applying computer settings” for about 10 minutes………

Any ideas? New server, new domain, sbs2003 r2, Backup Exec 12, Symantec Endpoint.

This is strange, but since today I have the same.
    Here is my story.

I am having some difficulties with my latest installed SBS 2003.
    It’s running on VMWare Server with Windows XP as a host.
    While I was setting it up, I have shut down the server and made copies of the virtual machine on a NAS and on a USB harddisk.
    I have done the same on a weekly basis after finishing the server.
    So far, so good, no problems, server has been working like a charm for about 6 weeks.

I made a new copy of the virtual machine today, so I had to shut it down.
    After booting it, I saw that it takes about 30 minutes to boot.
    It hangs about 10 minutes at “Preparing network connections”.
    And then it hangs about 15 minutes at “Applying computer settings”.

Odd …

So I looked at the events and I have some errors in the system events.

Source : Service Control Manager
    Event ID : 7022
    The Microsoft Exchange Routing Engine service hung on starting.

The Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) service hung on starting.

The World Wide Web Publishing Service service hung on starting.

Isn’t this odd ?
    I have tried a few old copies of the virtual machines and they all have this, though the errors started today.

Does anybody have any idea ?

biggles77
    Spectator

Re: Applying computer settings hangs…..

Ass-ware, really not happy with you hi-jacking hfctpl’s thread. Only your post count and previous contributions that has saved you from a 2 week break.

Even if your problem is EXACTLY the same as another member, please start a new thread. This will save a lot of confusion when a question is aimed at one member with the problem and answered by the hi-jacking member. Also, even if you have the exact same problem, it is highly likely that you may have different hardware (and possibly conflictiong software) and that will make a difference to who gets what answers.

So, do NOT hi-jack again. Thank you.
    Did the Services eventually start after you had managed to log on?
    Are you logging onto the Server itself or are you using an RDP session?
    What are the specs of the XP machine running VMWare that is running SBS 2003?
    How much memory has been assigned to SBS 2003?

ASS-Ware

Re: Applying computer settings hangs…..

biggles77;102625 wrote:
    Ass-ware, really not happy with you hi-jacking hfctpl’s thread.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to.

biggles77;102625 wrote:
    Did the Services eventually start after you had managed to log on?

Yes, after trying many times and waiting forever.

biggles77;102625 wrote:
    Are you logging onto the Server itself or are you using an RDP session?

To the server itself.

biggles77;102625 wrote:
    What are the specs of the XP machine running VMWare that is running SBS 2003?

Pentium 4, 2.6 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 200 GB harddisk, 100 GB free, 1 guest running.

biggles77;102625 wrote:
    How much memory has been assigned to SBS 2003?

1 GB, the guest has about 300 MB Ram free.

As soon as the server runs, the performance is fine.
    It’s just this slow booting that thing that happens out of the blue and the errors.

teiger

Re: Applying computer settings hangs – Ass-wear’s problem

Try giving the SBS VM more RAM. I have a feeling that the services are “racing” one another to get started, and gettting hung on dependencies because they are starved of RAM.

ASS-Ware

teiger;102702 wrote:
    Try giving the SBS VM more RAM. I have a feeling that the services are “racing” one another to get started, and gettting hung on dependencies because they are starved of RAM.

I doubt that can be the reason, as it never happened before and there is plenty of memory left and I did the first couple of runs on 512 MB.
    But, I have been wrong before, so I will give it a try once my users are logged off.
    Thnx.

ASS-Ware

For some odd reason the server boots fast again …
    I have not added any memory, just did a reboot and it came up quickly.
    I have tried the same with old copies, they boot quickly too.
    Weird.

AndyJG247

Flaky NIC maybe?

ASS-Ware

AndyJG247;102767 wrote:
    Flaky NIC maybe?

Nah, I have run this virtual machine on 3 different hosts and they can’t all be flaky.

AndyJG247

ok fair enough, didn’t know that.

biggles77
    Spectator

ASS-Ware wrote:
    so I will give it a try once my users are logged off.

:shock: Is this a production machine?

ASS-Ware

biggles77;102865 wrote:
    :shock: Is this a production machine?

Yes, why are you shocked about that ?

biggles77
    Spectator

Ah let’s see, you are running a production server in a virtual environment on an XP workstation. Am I the only one flabbergasted by this?

AndyJG247

I never even saw that! Good catch.. :o

ASS-Ware

biggles77;103104 wrote:
    Ah let’s see, you are running a production server in a virtual environment on an XP workstation. Am I the only one flabbergasted by this?

The client wants a simple way to move to another server in case of a disaster, so VMWare Server was the easiest way and is for free.
    XP as a host was the cheapest, except Linux, which I don’t know anything of.
    It works great, I don’t see the problem.

teiger

Someone/thing compromises your XP workstation. How secure is your SBS now?

ASS-Ware

teiger;103124 wrote:
    Someone/thing compromises your XP workstation. How secure is your SBS now?

Don’t know exactly what you mean.
    Can you give me an example ?

biggles77
    Spectator

Senario 1. Let’s see, I walk into your office (dressed in a computer repair uniform with authentic looking id badge), pickup the XP “server” to take away for repair. Mmmmm, oops, SBS has gone bye bye.
    What are you backing the virtual server up to?
    Are you backing up the virtual server?
    What other backup are you running?

Senario 2. Hard drive on XP machine fails, dies, gets corrupted or trashes the SBS virtual file.

How many plonkers see the PC as an XP workstation and work on it. Have a look at the price of even a low end HP or Acer and they cost about the same as a desktop but are RAID capable. For the cost of an extra HDD you at least have some redundancy. Pop in a couple more GB RAM and you can run your Virtual SBS with a bit more peace of mind.

On ALL Servers I setup, RAID 1 is the barebones minimum so if senario 2 happens, I pull out the failed HDD and replace with a new one.

Running SBS in virtual mode I don’t have a problem with. Running it on a desktop O/S is not the way I would do it. If your employer is tight with the purse strings, point out, in writing, the dangers of this setup because you will get the blame when, I say when and not if, it all goes tits up.

ASS-Ware wrote:
    It works great, I don’t see the problem.

If you are serious about your quote, then I think you are in the wrong business or in need of some additional training. In saying this I am assuming you are professional IT support and not just the one in the office who got the job because they know about computers. I am not saying this to be insulting or anything else, I just don’t know a better way of putting it.

ASS-Ware

Scenario 1.
    Impossible, you won’t be able to access the room where the server is.
    They don’t know you, so they will never let you in.

The backup of the data is done to tape every night.
    The virtual machine is copied to a USB harddisk once a month.

Scenario 2.
    What makes you think that we don’t have a RAID solution ?
    What makes you think that other users can log on to the XP host ?

I think, running 700 servers at a bank in The Netherlands, I can consider myself a professional.
    But I also have clients with a lot less money and they want to use computers too.

I still see no argument why XP should not be used as a host.

ASS-Ware

I have been thinking about this and I am a little offended.
    I know you didn’t mean to.

I am an IT professional, I have been for the last 17 years.
    I always tell my clients what to do, but they sometimes have different ideas.

If a client wants me to install a server in such a way that disaster recovery is the most simple and the whole setup has to be as cheap as possible, then I give him VMWare as an option.
    If he likes that and only gives me a simple old server and an existing XP license to use as a host, then I can do 2 things :
    – Say I do not support that and walk away
    – Tell him that it’s not a desirable situation but try to make the best of it

If the room where the server is, is only accessible by 3 people, including me, nobody but those 3 people can log on to the host and there is a backup on tape, I don’t see a reason not to go for this.

I have read your response again and still do not see a reason not to use XP as a host.

rvalstar

I believe the IT Pros at Petri were associating all the usual evils with running a production system on a client OS — thus all the assumed general client issues.

Without stating the box was secure and that you knew more about this than “reading a few issues of Byte magazine” as we used to say in the good old days — one issue of Byte and you could appear to be an expert — the guys had to go with the 80% rule. 80% of the time, this would be a client PC in someones office w/out safeguards.

So please, do not take offense as none was intended. If you’re offended, it’s because you didn’t give enough info up front. See, it’s all your fault (my wife tells me this often ;-)

Now that we know your workstation is sitting on a shelf in a 19 inch rack in the computer/server/machine/??? room (select based on your age — I’m old so it is “machine”), this changes everything.

Here’s my take as a lurker on the thread (and a general pot-stirrer):

1) XP is “as secure” as any other MS OS given reasonable and customary safeguards are in place (secure does not contain an “M” though it does contain a “U” — pot stirring already ;-)

2) XP is cheap

3) XP has memory limitations making it less-than-scalable as a virtualization host.

4) SBS, what little I know of it, runs a ton of MS services and 1 GB (per the thread) seems a bit light THOUGH this does not appear to be the cause of your problem.

5) It would appear you have some kind of NIC or network compatibility issue w/ VMWARE on that box. Look at your MS patch dates and see if something was applied between when it booted reasonably and now. Damn those MS patches. I’d also try a different virtualization host even if it is another, different enough, XP platform to “mix it up” and see if you can make the problem go away so, in turn, you can isolate it.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.