Anyone tried the October 2018 (1809) upgrade?

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 10 Anyone tried the October 2018 (1809) upgrade?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Blood 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
  • Ossian

I am contemplating taking the plunge, but am hearing too many (nth hand) horror stories. Has anyone successfully upgraded, or are we all waiting for someone else to be the first lemming over the cliff?

Known issues as I understand it:
    Intel drivers, particularly audio (cured by updating direct from Intel)
    Loss of My Documents content – WTF??? – obviously backup first
    Anything else?

biggles77
    Spectator

For 25 points, “What is Windows 10?”

It appears to be getting worse and worserer.

Blood

The tech news is rampant with the Intel and deleted documents stories. I’ll be doing the same as last time – delay it for at least 100 days so that the ‘kinks’ are ironed out.

What poor testing! :(

wullieb1
    Participant

I’ve installed it on a few machines at home now with no issues.

Still to test in he lab however.

Ossian

Oh well, I guess Micro$oft have answered my question….
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/08/microsoft_windows_10_pulled/

James Haynes

that is a plus. i had a batch of Dell Latitude refurbs, came shipped with 10 refurb.. finish the process, let it sit and soak up some updates.. out of the 15 i was doing atm, only 3 of them succeeded on the first try. i was able to get it on the others after a couple attempts, didnt notice anything..

of the ones that succeeded, it hosed the wireless adapters to the point that it was showing up 4 times in the device manager. the wireless button also stopped working… funny, cause that is a feature i would have paid extra for on some users laptops, but not in this instance.

long story long, ended up repairing the install, scrapping the update and hoping it wouldnt push to the others with that wireless chipset.

probably a good thing they pulled that back, it wasnt ready for production.

wullieb1
    Participant

biggles77
    Spectator
    James Haynes wrote:
    i had a batch of Dell Latitude refurbs, came shipped with 10 refurb

Likely answer is yes, but did the laptops have identical hardware in them all? Winshit 10 seems so touchy even if the a single piece of hardware is a slightly different model.

Blood

FFS. Not only does MS encourage customers to store data where MS thinks best (My Documents, Downloads), they then want to delete the contents of Downloads to free up disk space. Like I said – poor testing all around. It shows a disturbing lack of understanding of how their customers use their products.

James Haynes
    biggles77;n518437 wrote:
    did the laptops have identical hardware in them all? Winshit 10 seems so touchy even if the a single piece of hardware is a slightly different model.

yes, this was something i noticed. even though the laptops were the same model, the chipset and firmware rev # for the wireless adapter was slightly different between them. i had 2 different chipsets and 2 revisions of firmware of 1 chipset… and it didnt seem to like one of them at all.

Kyuuketsuki
    Participant

What OS release number is the OP referring to? I’m on the latest Windows Insider preview so I’m assuming mine (Version 10.0.18252.1000) is a different version.

Apart from the weird timing error I just posted about I haven’t noticed any spevcific issues with W10 and that one might have been arounmd for some time for all I know.

James

Ossian

I am talking about the well publicised non-insider release (I refuse to do Alpha testing for MS – Beta is bad enough!) generally referred to as 1809 (September 2018) even if it was in October. No idea which build number it is, though

biggles77
    Spectator

Nearly a week too late but I believe MS have pulled the Update. Something about Documents and Download folders going absentia (wrong context but sounds classy). :mrgreen:

wullieb1
    Participant

Yeah they’ve pulled the update, as well as the image from the VLSC portal.

From what i believe, or should i say read, the data loss was only under certain circumstances.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/10/09/updated-version-of-windows-10-october-2018-update-released-to-windows-insiders/

Apparently these issues were mentioned during the Windows Insider program, again something i read.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.