Any software that automatically backups and synchronizes the data online?

Home Forums Other Misc Any software that automatically backups and synchronizes the data online?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar g00ner 11 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bspkumar

I would like to backup my important documents online. ( One particular drive or folder )

Any software that automatically backups the data online.

Re: Any software that automatically backups and synchronizes the data online?

What operating system?

What about a batch file that creates a BKF using ntbackup and then transfers the file using FTP to a remote server.

bspkumar

Thank you for your quick reply

In that case, I’d go for a batch file which calls ntbackup (post back if you need help with that) and then ftp to transfer the file (words in bold are both commands available in Windows – run them at a command prompt with the /? switch to see their syntax). You could set the batch file as a scheduled task to run once a day.

What’s the total size of the files you want to back up, and what is the upload speed of your internet connection?

Presumably you already have a hosting plan or similar agreement that provides you with the webspace to upload your files to, and I’m assuming they support FTP.

Edit With regards to ntbackup, you can use the wizard to setup the job but I would recommend that you spend a few minutes learning the syntax and creating the job manually.

Dumber
    Participant

Their are quite a few online backup systems out there.
    If you search :google: for it you will find plenty of them.
    For example:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=online+backup+systems&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Anyway, moved to misc.

bspkumar

Thank you for concern.

Dumber
    Participant

Hmmm this one looks friendly:
    https://mozy.com/

uk_network

You could achieve a similar thing with offline files and setting a sync schedule.

Ossian

How much data, and how fast is your UPLOAD speed?

bspkumar

Upload/Download : 240/240 kbps.

Do backed up and zipped files contain virus?

I want reinstall OS in my PC , before that I want to backup the files using the windows backup utility and winzip.And I want to restore these backup files to my PC again.
    What precautions has to follow?

bspkumar;130837 wrote:

Yes, if the original files were infected. It’s also possible that the archive would become infected even if the original files were clean. Hopefully you’re running an antivirus product that is capable of more than sitting in the system tray eating memory. Not that I’m thinking of any product in particular :p

bspkumar;130837 wrote:
    What precautions has to follow?

Protect your computer. Firewall, antivirus, antimalware. Keep the definitions and your operating system up to date. Use common sense when visiting websites, downloading files or installing software.

Edit: And when opening ports in your firewall.

g00ner

PCPro did a review of online storage in the September edition – have a look at it here http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/169/online-backup/products.html

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.