ADC & Members Offline for > 6 months

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services Active Directory ADC & Members Offline for > 6 months

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar RealMNa 3 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    atauro

We have a situation where additional domain controller and a few member systems of the domain are offline for more than 6 months. All are running on 2008 R2 OS. Now what problems will occur if I power on the domain controller, other member servers & how can I resolve the issues?

Blood
    Blood

A quick search for this shows that it can be quite risky re-introducing a tombstoned DC back into your network and using registry edits (or, perhaps other methods), to force replication. The general consensus seems to be that you should perform a /forceremoval of the AD, perform a metadata cleanup and then add the server(s) back.

joeqwerty

DO NOT connect the Domain Controller back to the network.

It is OK to connect the domain members back to the network.

RealMNa

Can I increase the tombstone life and then connect ADC and member servers?

Anonymous

As joeqwerty said, do NOT reconnect that old DC back to the network, as it is. Your member servers won’t cause damage, but the old DC will. The other member servers will need their account passwords reset but should work fine once that’s done. For that old DC, follow Blood’s recommendations to clear out the metadata and move on.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register for this Petri Webinar!

Want to Make Your Backup Storage Unlimited & Ready for the Cloud? – Free Thurrott Premium Account with Webinar Registration!

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 @ 1:00 pm EDT

A Scale-Out Backup storage infrastructure is a must-have technology for your backups. In this webinar, join expert Rick Vanover for a look on what real-world problems are solved by the Scale-Out Backup Repository.

Register Now

Sponsored By