Active Directory swing migration server 2008R2 to server 2016

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services Active Directory Active Directory swing migration server 2008R2 to server 2016

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar robbie45 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    robbie45
    Participant

I have a sever 2008 R2 named Main1 running A/D with all the fsmo roles , dhcp ,dns and several file shares with only about 15 pcs on the domain. I want to migrate to a server 2016 std of the same name and and take over the same ip address and bring the A/D and all fsmo roles over along with dhcp and dns. the reason for this is we have a database app with a lot of historical unc filepath links embedded to shares and file etc on the 2008r2 server and its a bit to bit a job to change them all easily

i was planning to install a second temporary 2012 R2 server “temp1” and duplicate all the file shares and install dhcp and dns and install A/D then replicate the A/D to it and move the fsmo roles to it and allow A/D to replicate fully for a few hours. next i was planning to remove A/D from the original server and demoto it and reboot and then rename it to “oldserver”and give it a new ip address. finally i was planning to rename the 2016 server to Main1 same as the original 2008 and give it the same ip as the original 2008r2 server and then join it to the domain as a member server then load DNS ,DHCP and A/D and promote it to a domain controller let A/D replicate for a few hours.

next i was going to move the fsmo roles to the 2016 server allow A/D to replicate for a bit then demote the temporary 2012 R2 server and remove A/D , dhcp and dns from it then remove it from the domain altogether.

has anyone done this and know of any problems or traps to watch out for i would welcome suggestions or advice

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.