We have a account named [email protected]. It’s constantly locking even after resetting the password. This account is only used on a Savin scanner and it’s not even authenticating with teh domain, it’s authenticating with Office 365.
I have no idea where this account is locking. When i look through the security logs, I see Event ID 4740 – User Account Managemnet.
It shows the security ID and account name, then under the caller computer name, it’s blank… I have no idea where to turn at this point. Nothing is showing up anywhere I’m searching for this problem.
I used ALS tools and it didn’t show me anything. It’s a Savin MFP printer and I’d never experienced this with Office 365/Savin before. I ended up trashing the “Scanner” account and creating a “scans” account. My boss created the “Scanner” account so at least when I created the “scans” account I knew I controlled it and didn’t log it in anywhere. There’s a chance he had it logged in somewhere and that was causing it to fail and lock on me… I’m just glad this was a single use account and not something that was spread over multiple devices. I got lucky!