about installing VHDMOUNT

Home Forums Virtualization Virtual Server & Virtual PC about installing VHDMOUNT

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  GOSTEVE 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts

  • Czerno
    Member
    #165706

    Hi, Forum ! New poster, please pardon if I unknowingly break some rule…

    I wish to get and use Vhdmount.exe for the purpose of mounting vhd files on XP SP3, however I am having
    a “special” problem here : the installer refuses to proceed, because (it says) the destination AND “system”
    disks must be NTFS. On my system for reasons which do not matter now, the “system” partition (that which holds ntldr & boot.ini, etc) is FAT32, and the “boot” partition (in MS parlance, the one with the Windows system files) is FAT32 too.
    I do have large NTFS partitions, onto which I intended to install the Vhdmount.

    Is it really impossible to install and run the vhd mounter just beacuase the system (and or the boot) partition
    of my system aren’t NTFS ? Or is this just one more “quirk” of the MS monster ? If the latter, how can I circumvent
    the block ? Some way to get the needed files out of the installer or from the net ?

    To be absolutely clear, I wanf the VHDMOUNT utility ONLY, NOT virtual server (I have VPC 2007).

    If – as often with MS – this is unworkable, what other options could you recommend for mounting vhd files to Windows XP ? [Edit:] I have tried Gizmo central, that gave me a – rarely seen here -blue screen :- the moment it was attaching an old vhd. Should I give it (Gizmo) a second chance ? Opinions welcome…

    Thanks in advance and long live virtualization !


    JeremyW
    Moderator
    #271368

    Still running XP? Ideally you would get on a more current OS as soon as possible. The vulnerabilities are growing.

    Anyways, one option would be to just convert the system partition (%systemdrive%) to NTFS which is very easy to do and doesn’t require reinstalling anything.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456984.aspx


    GOSTEVE
    Member
    #391124
    JeremyW;n492704 wrote:
    Still running XP? Ideally you would get on a more current OS as soon as possible. The vulnerabilities are growing.

    Anyways, one option would be to just convert the system partition (%systemdrive%) to NTFS

    Yes, but no, sorry : FAT32 is a requirement here, not an overlook. I wished to know if, yes or no, true to God,
    the vhd mount utility requires that the system partition be NTFS (because, frankly, there does not seem to be probable cause for such a requirement).

    And then my subsidiary question, may I recall it, was asking for opinions of alternatives to vhdmount, /not/ NTFS conversion :=) I’ve checked Winimage, that does allow browsing files and directories inside a VHD, but does not “mount” it
    – as in, assign a drive letter, allow access from Explorer and other applications, etc…

    Thank you very much indeed…


    JeremyW
    Moderator
    #271371

    OK, you seem to be narrowly focused. To your first question, if they say it’s a requirement then I trust it is but I don’t now why. And I know of no workaround.

    As for other tools, you can try Daemon Tools. https://www.daemon-tools.cc/home Watch out for the crapware on the install though. They’ve been around for forever. I haven’t used them for awhile since most of the functionality I wanted I can now do natively with current OS’s. There are probably 100’s of tools out there that you could try.

    And as far as FAT32 being a requirement, why? What does FAT32 support that NTFS doesn’t?


    GOSTEVE
    Member
    #391125
    JeremyW;n492725 wrote:
    To your first question, if they say it’s a requirement then I trust it is but I don’t now why. And I know of no workaround.

    Fair enough…

    Quote:
    As for other tools, you can try Daemon Tools. https://www.daemon-tools.cc/home Watch out for the crapware on the install though. They’ve been around for forever. I haven’t used them for awhile since most of the functionality I wanted I can now do natively with current OS’s. There are probably 100’s of tools out there that you could try.

    Thanks ! I’ll be trying Daemon ! ‘Hundreds’ of tools may be an exaggeration, btw, esp. free tools and that won’t blue screen
    out of a whim…

    Quote:
    And as far as FAT32 being a requirement, why? What does FAT32 support that NTFS doesn’t?

    Multi-boot, interopeability. Yes nowadays you can more or less reliably mount NTFS from Linux and even from Windows 98 (I use and am recommending Paragon for the latter), but not all systems have the required drivers at hand, and accessing NTFS from DOS is tedious to say the least… you see the picture… nothing beats FAT for universality and ubiquity.


    JeremyW
    Moderator
    #271373
    Czerno;n492727 wrote:
    Multi-boot, interopeability. Yes nowadays you can more or less reliably mount NTFS from Linux and even from Windows 98 (I use and am recommending Paragon for the latter), but not all systems have the required drivers at hand, and accessing NTFS from DOS is tedious to say the least… you see the picture… nothing beats FAT for universality and ubiquity.

    Ah yes, sounds like you have a bunch of old systems you’re dealing with. Hopefully Daemon tools work for you. 8)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.