a ip address points to multiple machine names

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services Active Directory a ip address points to multiple machine names

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar premglitz 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    coolcsgeek

hi guys,

im new here.

the problem what i got here is.

an ip address points to three different machine names.

two of those machine names appear on the ADUC and one machine name does not appear on it.

among those two of them, i know who’s using the machine name because i’ve added it in AD to solve the login problem of the user caused by different machine name exist with same ip address. but i have no idea which user uses another machine.

when i ping all the three machines, they ping all the same ip address.
    tried ipconfig /resigerdns on the machine that i’ve just added but it doesn’t help.

i don’t have prilvilege to access DC. is there anything that i could do at the client side?

thank you in advance!!

ikon

Re: a ip address points to multiple machine names

Most likely you have multiple A records in DNS pointing to 1 IP Address, common cause for this is DHCP.

you can open up the DNS Snap in and sort the field IP Address you can easily see the 3 IP address and the host names, delete the incorrect machines, then ipconfig /registerdns on the machines that where invalid.

Make sure you have secure dynamic updates in DNS properties for your domain.

and in DHCP Properties make sure Allow Dynamic updates is enabled.

Thanks

premglitz

Hi,
    I guess IKON gives the correct solution.
    I too hope for the same.

mdrizwan

yes, I also hope that this is the very right solution.

he need to delete A records in Forward and then in reverse lookup zone … if he will not delete records from reverse lookup zone, he will not be able to get the accurate results…

mdrizwan

Hey man , if the DNS is working fine and this is a problem from only 1 system (you own). other peoples in network have no issue, then use this command.

>Ipconfig/ flushdns

L4ndy

..Or for a more proactive approach you could use DNS Aging and scavenging : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757041(WS.10).aspx

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.