2 dhcp servers ( cluster) into the domain controlers.

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services DHCP 2 dhcp servers ( cluster) into the domain controlers.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar shefi 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    loureed4
    Participant

Hello,

I was just thinking that since I have two Domain controllers in my current lab ( W2K8, no R2) , I could take advantage of those to configure high availability (Failover Clustering) with DHCP.

Is that a bad idea?. Is it implemented this way when there are not many servers in your company?

Thanks in advance! :)

Anonymous

Historically, when you have 2 DCs for failover purposes and you want DHCP in the mix, you install the DHCP role on both DCs with the same scope(s) divided between them. This is called ‘split scope’. Both DCs know about the entire range, but one issues IPs out of the first half, while the other one issues IPs from the other half. See this MS article found by :google:: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831385.aspx

Ossian

If you have Server 2012 DHCP server, you can set up failover giving effectively split scope plus HA in one operation:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/teamdhcp/archive/2012/06/28/ensuring-high-availability-of-dhcp-using-windows-server-2012-dhcp-failover.aspx

shefi

Thanks both!.

I wonder why it is necessary to set up a dhcp failover cluster, because if my DC1 provides IPs from 192.168.1.100 to 150, and DC2 from 151 to 200 … well, if DC1 fails I still have DC2 to provide IPs to the clients.

P.S : I came across a Windows 2012 video tutorial explaining just that Ossian, and it was so easy to set up!

Again, thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.