Re: Demoting a Win2000 server Secondary Domain Controller to a Member Server

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2 Demoting a Win2000 server Secondary Domain Controller to a Member Server Re: Demoting a Win2000 server Secondary Domain Controller to a Member Server

jacko101

Re: Demoting a Win2000 server Secondary Domain Controller to a Member Server

Giodino;101214 wrote:
Hi once again.

I have a little problem..:oops:

I had a problem with my network,on which I thought my DC had problems,and in the process of solving the issue,I promoted a Win2000 member server to a Seconday DC so that it can provide backup services for the Primary DC..I found out that the problem was an IPSec policy setting at the Default Domain Policy.Disabling the policy solved everything.

Now,I want to take things back to where they used to be.I want to demote the Secondary DC to just a member server,like it used to be.It runs the DHCP service.

How do I do that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!!

As long as the DC doesn’t have any FSMO roles, you can run dcpromo from the run box on the server you wish to demote and this will demote the DC to be a member server.

Also, make sure that this server isn’t the only global catalog, check in the sites and services plug in!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238369

Before you do this backup your DHCP settings (Use DHCPExim from the resource kit). I have seen servers remove DHCP settings when you promote a server, never tried a demotion though.

On the other hand though, if you only have one other DC, why not keep two? It will help with processing logons and resilience.

Hope that helps.