Reply To: I’m 25. I’m trying to learn Windows Server 16 with no IT background and I need help.

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2016 I’m 25. I’m trying to learn Windows Server 16 with no IT background and I need help. Reply To: I’m 25. I’m trying to learn Windows Server 16 with no IT background and I need help.

Russell Smith
Russell Smith
Participant

<span style=”display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: #ffffff; color: #333333; font-family: Georgia,’Times New Roman’,’Bitstream Charter’,Times,serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;”>Take baby steps and try to understand the concepts as you go along. </span><b></b><i></i><u></u><span style=”text-decoration: line-through;”></span>

Try networking two devices without any help from a domain using static (fixed) IP addresses. If you can, use two physical devices instead of VMs. Get name resolution working, i.e. can you connect to one from the other by name and not only IP address. Then try creating a file share on one device and see if you can map a network drive from the other. You will need to read up a little on IP addressing, DNS, and permissions. Once you’ve done that, try to install a Windows Server domain controller and join a device to the domain. You’ll see how much easier it is to network devices that are joined to a domain once everything is in place. This should help you understand Active Directory concepts and DHCP. Taking a course for a specific exam will also take you step-by-step through all the required concepts.