Creating Windows printer ports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating Windows printer ports

We create shared Windows print queues that use printer pooling for our products. This means that the job of creating print queues is multiplied by the number of pooled printers we want to add. We end up creating a bunch of printers like:
    PrtA (shared), PrtA01, PrtA02, PrtA03
    PrtB (shared), PrtB01, PrtB02, PrtB03
    This would be for 2 shared print queues that each have 3 pooled printers. The wizard clicking is easy, but very monotonous.

The PowerShell commands for creating print queues are fine, but they are dependent on creating a port first. The Add-PrinterPort cmdlet seems to imply the port type through the parameters instead of explicitly stating the type. Our product has it's own port type that shows up in the wizard. There does not seem to be a way to create a printer port in PowerShell of our port type.

Any suggestions where to begin?

Thanks,
    Ron

Re: Creating Windows printer ports

I can't find anyway to create anything else in Windows other than what you can create using Add-PrinterPort. If your printer uses a different port type, don't know how you can access it. Have you tried contacting the printer vendor to see if they expose any of their print settings via COM or .NET?

Comment

Re: Creating Windows printer ports

Hi Jeff,

It sounds like you arrived at the same point.

I work for the vendor. We have some wizards but otherwise we don't have anything creative like PowerShell to create printers. Our developers don't typically have time for this sort of thing, but I'll see what they can do.

Thanks,
      Ron

Comment

Working...
      X