Retrieve properties of all users in an OU to a CSV file

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrieve properties of all users in an OU to a CSV file

I am able to retrieve all properties, but I am not able to format it properly in Excel

get-aduser -searchbase 'ou=user accounts,dc=contoso,dc=com' -filter * -properties samaccountname, displayname, emailaddress, office, memberof |
    select samaccountname, displayname, emailaddress, office, @{name="MemberOf";expression={$_.memberof -join "`n"}} | export-csv "c:\users.csv" -notypeinformation

Which will ge me a csv file containing samaccouname, displayname, emailaddress, office and group membership of all users in the user accounts ou. Viewing it in Notepad works fine, but if I view it in Excel, its quite cluttered.

Notepad

Excel 2010

I import it into Excel like this
    1. start empty Excel worksheet
    2. click Data
    3. choose from text, then browse to c:\users.csv
    4. On the Text Import Wizard, click next on the first page
    5. Tick off for Comma, click Next, and then click Finish
    6. Choose new worksheet, click ok

How can I format it properly in Excel, and better yet, how can I retrieve name of groups instead of their DN?

Re: Retrieve properties of all users in an OU to a CSV file

Could you give an example of what you would like to see - the Excel appears to match the CSV perfectly (as one would expect)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

In Excel, I would like to see all groups the user is member of in the E column, while here its stretched into the A, B, C and D column too.

I would also like to see only the name of the group, rather than the distinguished name, such as Sales instead of CN=sales,ou=...

Comment

This worked

get-aduser -searchbase 'ou=test,ou=user accounts,dc=contoso,dc=com' -filter * -properties samaccountname, displayname, emailaddress, office, memberof |
        select samaccountname, displayname, emailaddress, office, @{n='MemberOf'; e= { ( $_.memberof | % { (Get-ADObject $_).Name }) -join "," }} | Sort-Object -Property Name | export-csv "c:\users.csv" -notypeinformation

But I am not quite sure what this part does

@{n='MemberOf'; e= { ( $_.memberof | % { (Get-ADObject $_).Name }) -join "," }}

Well, I know what it does, but if someone could explain how it does it, I would appreciate it.

Comment

looking, the CSV output doens't look right.
          It looks like it's been putting line breaks or commas in where they don't below

possibly a parsing error based on data in group names

eitherway, glad your other outcome sorted i and thanks for posting back
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X