Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make many folders available offline on Windows Server 2008 R2 using powershell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make many folders available offline on Windows Server 2008 R2 using powershell

Hi all,
    I have a few folders set up on my file server. I told Server 2008 R2 to make the one huge drive that's shared on there to be available offline. What I didn't realize was that I had forgotten to make every subfolder also available offline as well. I don't want to right-click ever single subfolder in here, so I'd like to write a powershell script for it so that it will just do it as a batch process. My questions for you are one, is this a very practical way to do it, and two, since I'm new to PS, what is the correct code for it. Thanks so much.

Chromebuster

Re: How to make many folders available offline on Windows Server 2008 R2 using powers

Surely it is only shares which are available offline, so making the "huge shared drive" will automatically make subfolders available
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: How to make many folders available offline on Windows Server 2008 R2 using powers

Very odd then. You see, I was over at my friend's house, and she asked me for a few files off of there, and so when I went to give them to her, I started to notice that half of the content of some of the folders is hidden, and some of them I'm able to click on, and others I cannot getting the message "This file is unavailable for use on this computer" or "The location <filename/foldername> is inaccessible". I understand exactly why these messages are popping up, but how can that be if I'm logged in as administrator to both file shares I have configured. My other one's access is fine. Feel free to move this if you want to by the way. Thanks so much.

Comment

Ah -- did you previously access the contents, as files are generally only made available on demand
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Darn. not sure if I did. I'll test that when I get back home next week.

Comment

Working...
          X