No announcement yet.

Server reboot status

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server reboot status

Hi All,

I've got several hundreds of Windows Server 2003 and 2008 virtual machine + several physical machine which is updated by WSUS automatically but it needs to be restarted manually.

Is there any way to know which server needs restart and which one is not ?( eg using powershell)

Re: Server reboot status

do you have SMS/SCCM in place ??? if no -- then try

This might give you a nice start
      Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Well there is no quick and easy way that comes to my mind right off the bat, but you could try something along the lines of this:

Get-Content $env:windir\windowsupdate.log | Where-Object {'RebootRequired=1'} | Foreach-Object { $_.Split("`t")[0] } | Group-Object -NoElement
        Bare in mind, this will read the ENTIRE windowsupdate.log file and tell you all the times the system is requiring a reboot as a result of patching. It will not tell you whether the reboot has been completed.

I can think of a few ways to modify this further by adding some uptime commands and comparing the last date of the RebootRequired output against the system uptime.

You may want to also incorporate a clearing out of the windowsupdate.log file too, so you are bombarded with old data each time you run it.

Once you are over those huddles, the script could easily be modified to run against multiple machines and the output parsed to a text or html file.