Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Data & File Permissions

Hi,

We are soon moving to a new file server and I wan't to know what / how is the easiest / best way to go about moving files / folders across to it (over the LAN) Although both old and new servers are not running Windows (sorry if this is in the wrong place?) they are both filers setup with NTFS shares so *should* retain file permissions etc ok.

Is there any program / script I should be looking at? The couple of things I have tried so far have not worked

Cheers

Re: Moving Data & File Permissions

Look at using xcopy. It can move files accross the network preserving ownership and permissions with the /O switch.

To copy files i usually do:

Code:
    xcopy source dest /E /H /K /O
    But you will need to double check the switches for your specific needs.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Totally untested, but could you use Distributed File System to replicate from one server to another, then remove the old server?

Oops -- just read the post properly -- non Windows servers, so I guess it wont work!

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb
        Look at using xcopy. It can move files accross the network preserving ownership and permissions with the /O switch.

To copy files i usually do:

Code:
        xcopy source dest /E /H /K /O
        But you will need to double check the switches for your specific needs.
        I have tried using xcopy already, it seems to work well, but even with the /O switch it doesn't seem to hold owner / permissions settings

Comment

What if you did a backup of the files and then restored them to the new server making sure you configure the options to retain file permissions?
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by UKG
            I have tried using xcopy already, it seems to work well, but even with the /O switch it doesn't seem to hold owner / permissions settings
            Just noticed you are not using Windows... so what are you using?
            Server 2000 MCP
            Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
              What if you did a backup of the files and then restored them to the new server making sure you configure the options to retain file permissions?
              That would be nice, but unfortunately the new tape drive won't read from our old tape format...tested it but it didn't like it lol

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb
                Just noticed you are not using Windows... so what are you using?
                Two different filers, and Auspex machine and a NetApp machine configured to do NTFS.

Comment

Have you contacted Auspex and NetApp to see what they suggest you use to move the files?
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by UKG
                    That would be nice, but unfortunately the new tape drive won't read from our old tape format...tested it but it didn't like it lol
                    Why not make a new backup to a hard drive from a Windows box?
                    With ntbackup on an 2000 pro machine I've been able to backup and restore to/from a Linux based server. All the NTFS permissions including owner are restored to a new location.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Give a try to "robocopy \\source\share \\dest\share /MIR /COPYALL" from the resource kit.

Have no idea about Auspex, but NetApp should handle it as long as it's joined to the AD.
                      Guy Teverovsky
                      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

This will work...but costs money:

http://www.amtsoft.com/securecopy/

Comment

Thanks, you are right, that does work. Best find out how much it is.

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure how much it is...you have to send an email to them saying where your from and then they send a price back I guess.

Comment

Did not read the whole post, but I have used this in the past......

scopy.exe

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q174273/

Comment

Working...
                              X