X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need Pyton script to restart modem

Hello
    I have a problem at home with my ECI 312 modem router
    following problem sometimes my modem lose the sync with the ADSL line and the only thing that helps is to restart it (power off and on or from the http restart it)

how would a script look that every 15 minutes ping's some website and if ping fails logs in to the modem with telnet and restart it.

thanks every direction would help me.
    MCSE 2000 Done
    RHCE Done

Re: need Pyton script to restart modem

Has this modem got a stay alive (stay connected) option like the D-Link? Thos question has been asked several times before and I am wondering if your ISP has a "heartbeat" running on their connections. If there is no activity from the modem after a certain time then the connection is released by the ISP.

The OZCableGuy has articles on a way round the heartbeat problem and it may be worth looking into that,
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

thanks for the tip.
      but i am not sure if in my country (il) the ISP's are using heartbeats. and i never heard from someone with the same problem and the isp technicans could not help me too... so i am searching for my own solution with some script that checks online state (simple ping) and if it fails logs in to the modem and restart it.

thanks
      MCSE 2000 Done
      RHCE Done

Comment

Sorry, I didn't explain properly the intention behind the post. During my reading of the topic many many months ago, there was mention of an app that would send a signal that would keep the heartbeat alive. What might help you is an app that would send a single PING every 10 to 15 minutes to indicate that the connection was still active.

I don't know the router you are using so I may be barking up the wrong tree however from what I have seen in the past, this router seems to be highly customised by Israeli ISP so configuring the device to disconnect if there is no activity would free up an IP for another user. Sorry, that is the best I can do. (Melse, where are you when we need you.)

Have you searched the Hebrew forums for a possible solution? Are you able to connect your own your ADSL router?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X