X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to automate shortcut placement from start all programs to desktop

Hi,
    I am using RDS 2012 Remote App.
    Microsoft doesn't support icon placement on Desktop on Windows 7.

Plus it requires WebFeed link in the Remote App and Desktop Connections in Control Panel for each user profile entered manually. (NOT a problem for W8.1)

When WebFeed is entered the shortcut (.rdp) to Remote App appears under:

All Programes - Remote App and Desktop Connections - Work resources -- APP_NAME_Shortcut (all this under Start button)

The above are details about Remote APP (RDS 2012 R2)

I am not touching web feed part (I know there is some Script on TechNet for this)

My QUESTION is about icon placement on Desktop.

Let's say WebFeed is entered. The shortcut exists in the All Programs.

May be somebody can help with a script for a shortcut placement on Desktop for Each user.

The process should be:
    When user logs in the Shortcut from his profile should be taking from his

All Programes - Remote App and Desktop Connections - Work resources -- APP_NAME_Shortcut

and placed to the Desktop.

Who can do it ?

Thanks.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: need to automate shortcut placement from start all programs to desktop

your operating on a domain, so why not use proup policy preferences?

it was designed to do exactly what your asking for...

Windows 7: Group Policy Preferences

Group Policy preferences can also help you manage files, folders and shortcuts. You can use preferences to create shortcuts and folders on computers. You can also copy files from a source location to a specified file path on computers. Previously you had to configure many of these features with logon, logoff, startup or shutdown scripts or by manually configuring system images. With Group Policy preferences, you might able to replace these types of scripts or manual configuration.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

James,
      sure I tried ...
      there is no problem with icon placement by GPO preferences.
      The problem that the shortcut is individual to a user profile. It is created during connection to webfeed in RADC.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

Hi,
        here is more details:

need to automate a shortcut placement on a Desktop to the .rdp file for logged in user from:
        START BUTTON \All Programes \ Remote App and Desktop Connections \ Work resources \ APPNAME.rdp
        or from:
        "C:\Users\green\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Workspaces\{E5890ADA-FFA4-4064-AEE5-D12A10EBAC97}\PROD (Work Resources).rdp"
        {E5890ADA-FFA4-4064-AEE5-D12A10EBAC97} is unique for each profile.
        DETAILED INFO:
        General info:
        I am using RDS 2012 Remote App.
        Microsoft doesn't provide shortcut of a published APP placement on Desktop on Windows 7.

Plus it requires WebFeed link in the Remote App and Desktop Connections(RADC) in Control Panel for each user profile
        entered manually. (NOT a problem for W8.1)
        (WEBFEED insertion is not a question in the post)
        When WebFeed is entered in RADC the shortcut (.rdp) to Remote App appears under:

START BUTTON \All Programes \ Remote App and Desktop Connections \ Work resources \ APPNAME.rdp
        My goal:
        to automate placement of APPNAME_Shortcut.rdp to the current user Desktop.
        I tried:
        To use Group policy Preferences FILES for placing the .rdp file on the Desktop for any user profile.
        There was no problem with the .rdp placement. It worked fine. But the file itself didn't open.
        Further I found that one parameter in the path to the file is unique for each profile. So one user's file cannot be used for other profiles.
        As I see. the only way (theoretically) to reach the goal is to place a shortcut to RDP file from logged in user path:
        "C:\Users\green\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Workspaces\{E5890ADA-FFA4-4064-AEE5-D12A10EBAC97}\PROD (Work Resources).rdp" or copy/ create shortcut from START button\All Programs\...........
        As I mentioned {E5890ADA-FFA4-4064-AEE5-D12A10EBAC97} is unique for each profile.
        The Target in .rdp file properties under:
        for user GREEN is
        %systemroot%\system32\mstsc.exe "C:\Users\green\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Workspaces\{E5890ADA-FFA4-4064-AEE5-D12A10EBAC97}\PROD (Work Resources).rdp"
        Could SHORTCUTS in GPO Preferences be used? or some script?
        Thanks.

Comment

I actually had a script that did it. I'll see if I can find it and post it.... but I took that script out of commission and just deployed the rdp files through GP Prefs instead of RDWA.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I had originally written a script to find the RADC application location for each user but then I changed it to just copying the shortcut from the Start Menu.

OK, two things to note:

1. If you want to use RADC, then a simple script to copy the link from the Start Menu location to the desktop should work fine. Note that the shortcut is going to be a ".lnk" file, not an RDP file.
            2. You can still deploy using GPP if you copy the RDP file from a computer that is already setup.

I have personally setup both scenarios. I lean towards option 2 but both should work fine.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Jeremy,

as mentioned in my (long ) description did try to use Files in preferences to deploy .rdp from Start menu. The file was placed on the Desktop but not functional I see it because of one parameter was changed in the path for different profile.

When you say GPP, what you use Files or Shortcuts?

Can you please elaborate this point.

Thanks.

Comment

When using GPP to deploy, I would copy the .RDP and a corresponding .ICO file to a common location on the client machine and I would create a shortcut on the desktop to the RDP (then shortcut would use the .ICO file for it's icon).

For the RDP file, I think I needed to remove the signature from the file so that I could reuse it. If you are restricting things based on a signed file, then you'll have to exclude the path that you place the RDP file in.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

thanks Jeremy. I will try your suggestion in couple of days.

Comment

My problem was solved when referencing one of the suggestions from the Commit thanks a lot

Comment

karabill,

so, what you exactly did?

Thx.

Comment

Working...
                      X