Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAC interferes with script need suppress

Hi All

I need to suppress the UAC for a short period of time to allow my automation script to complete. Script dosent work properly with UAC.

I can disable but this requires a restart

The solution must not require a restart Ive tried propsed solutions online but they require a restart or dont work.

Anybody in the know?

Thanks for reading

Confuseis

Re: UAC interferes with script need suppress

Could you give us a clue what OS is involved please?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Windows 7. 32 and 64 bit. Pro and enterprise edition's

Comment

I'm sure I have seen a script that will "over ride" (not the right phraseology) UAC. Can't remember if I say it here or some other site.

[Edit] What sort of script are you running? VB, Batch, PowerShell? The one I am thinking of (I think) was a PowerShell script or maybe VB. Maybe I will remember it after a good days sleep.
        Last edited by biggles77; 3rd January 2015, 18:57. Reason: Add further info
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

What is the problem exactly that is caused by UAC? Can you show that part of the script.

Is this script running as user-logon script or, computer-startup script?, can it run at startup?

/Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
          and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

The script will be mostly dos and is for the purposes of automating some conputer configurautions e.g. launchine other programs and writing logs etc.

It is not currently being run as a computer logon script and it is not appropriate for being run at startup.

It dosent really matter whether the solution is DOS, powershell etc. I just need to disable the UAC so the script will not be affected by it.

I know whe the UAC is disabled all parts of the script run successfully when it is on many parts of the scripts fail with if I remember access denied etc.

I can turn off the UAC without problem from the command line however the machine has to be restarted for this to take effect and is therefore not the solution.

Comment

If this is a one-off, use a scheduled task. When you define the task, check the box (Run with highest priviledges). If this task is being applied to all clients in a domain, but not at startup or logon, then this should work.

You can deploy the task to all clients using Group Policy. As for the credentials, for what account to run it under, create a user account as a service account that only you know the password for, make it a domain admin, give it the right in Group Policy to 'Log on as a batch job' and 'Log on as a service', and let 'er rip.

Once the task has completed for all clients, simply delete the task and the service account.
              *RicklesP*
              MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

This would be a regular task for automating the configuration of new PC's

I have run all the required tasks under the admin security contect from the command line but they still fail on machines where the UAC is enabled.

I need the script to run without supervision and deal with the UAC if detected.

Comment

Is this of any help?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...m-command-line

or this

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/to...-by-alienstar/

Please note that i have not attempted to test these scripts.
                  Last edited by wullieb1; 19th January 2015, 03:52.

Comment

Working...
                  X