Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find all printers on network

Hi

I have to support users over the phone, they need a printer added and they dont know what it is, the printer dos not appear from the list in the add printers wizard and there are no collegues nearby to get the printers ip from and this is often a site not connected to the main network.

I feel there has to be a way to probe the network they are on for any printers. Im fishing for ideas.

Perhaps scan for all mac adresses on their subnet then we can match the mac addresses to the device?

Thanks fopr reading

Re: Find all printers on network

Depends really on the brand of printer. For example the HP Universal Print Driver will find all HP printers on a subnet when it's installed in dynamic mode, and will often find other manufacturers. You could also try a network mapper like advanced IP scanner.

You could also try the router or server at the remote site and check DHCP, although IME printer engineers have a bad habit of using static IPs rather than asking for a DHCP reservation.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

you could refer to your network documentation that records details like this?

If that doesn't exist, well, you could start creating that document, to save time in future..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

The idea was indeed document my findings, The Ad hoc nature of the sites however still requires getting printer info that is not documentated.

arp -A will get the ip to Macs

nirsoft's "Maccaddressview" can quickly resolve the mac addresses gathered to their respective manufcaturers .

Now all I need to do is to filter the output of the arp command so that I only get the mac addresses displayed. I can paste thos mac addresses into nirsofts program.

Ive been trying but cant yet filter the output of the arp command.

Comment

paste it into excel as a "space-separated value"
          then just copy the column you need

not automatic, but it'll do it at a pinch
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I have found a sweet solution

Procedure / Skinny

Use

• Arp -a

• arp -a | %{$($_[24..41])-join ''} | select -skip 3 (From POWERSHELL)

• Paste all the the mac addresses into a program on this page macaddress view to see the manufacturer

1 shows the mac and ip
            2 shows the macs only for easy posting into Macaddress program which resolves all the mac addresses to manufacturers

3 Note nirsofts macaddress view is on the local machine

Comment

Working...
            X