Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Scripting Language for Logon Scripts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Scripting Language for Logon Scripts?

Hi,

I'm looking to rewrite the logon script for our company network and I'm quite uncertain which or what is the best method for achieving this.

We presently use KixTart and a small bit of VBScript. We are for the vast majority a Windows XP client based IT network with Windows 2003 (AD) and 2008 servers.

I would like to use VBScript as I've written many scripts in the past for certain focused tasks and websites in ASP. Would like to avoid doing anything however if it is deemed "out of date" or "not what the pros would use".

Your advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Andy
    Last edited by AndyBoot; 28th November 2012, 23:45.

Re: Best Scripting Language for Logon Scripts?

What is it you want to do with the script?
    A lot of things can be done via group policy instead (mapped drives etc).
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Off the top of my head...
      • Map network drives based on first 3 letters of computer name and security group
      • Software Installation
      • Reg edits
      • Copying/Deleting files to/from HDD
      • Set screensaver + wallpaper

Comment

The regedits, wallpaper, screensaver, file copy/deletion can all be done by group policy easily. The software install possibly depending on what it uses and how you want it to work. Mapped drives by computer name probably would need a script unless you can think of another way of classifying the machines (I would imagine a group for each set of computers would start becoming hard to manage manually?).
        Obviously if you just want to script it then fair enough mate but it may be easier to manage in the the long run with group policy.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
        X