copy user security permissions to another user

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copy user security permissions to another user

Hi, We have Windows Server 2003 in a domain. The folder structure is a maze of folders and files (set up by a previous IT company). Users are given access to specific folders and files as required and are mostly not inherited from the parent folder. When a new user is added it is complex to give them access to the same folders as another user.
    Please can you advise the method to find the access permissions to all the folders user1 has access to and then grant these same permissions to user2?
    Thanks

Re: copy user security permissions to another user

cacls is a command line tool that will help you generate it.

Although it begs the question.. why didn't they use groups.. ?
    just put the new user in the same groups.. ?

(If they aren't using groups, well, that'd be a good place for you to start implementing them..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: copy user security permissions to another user

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      cacls is a command line tool that will help you generate it.

Although it begs the question.. why didn't they use groups.. ?
      just put the new user in the same groups.. ?

(If they aren't using groups, well, that'd be a good place for you to start implementing them..
      Thanks for the info. I fully agree on the implementation of groups and it's going to have to happen however in the meantime we need to work with what we have.

I'm not a scripting sort of person and not wanting to damage what's in place I thought there must be something others are using. If there is, please can someone point me in the direction. Briefly looking at calcs it looks like I need something to function along the lines of 'for .... then action' which is a little beyond my capabilities.
      Is the creation of such a script a walk in the park for someone in this forum?

Comment

Working...
      X