No announcement yet.

what does this one do ?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what does this one do ?

I'm on the trail of something. One of my clients, has a HP ML310 server. It's got 4 SATA disk drives, connected to the onboard raid array.
    Each of those disks, is a single disk. No raid configured, whatsoevcer.
    Within windows, he also hasn't used software raid.

but somehow, I've got two copies of each disk, So I've got C: drive and D:[Data] and F: and G:[Data]
    Both disks are a fairly accurate and up to date copy - by this I mean.. files I've created recently, do migrate to the "backup" copy.
    I cannot' for the life of me, figure out how this is happening.

I have found this script:
    strComputer = "."
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
    Set colDiskDrives = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_DiskDrive")
    For Each objDrive In colDiskDrives
        Wscript.Echo "Physical Disk: " & objDrive.Caption & " -- " & objDrive.DeviceID 
        strDeviceID = Replace(objDrive.DeviceID, "\", "\\")
        Set colPartitions = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
            ("ASSOCIATORS OF {Win32_DiskDrive.DeviceID=""" & _
                strDeviceID & """} WHERE AssocClass = " & _
        For Each objPartition In colPartitions
            Wscript.Echo "Disk Partition: " & objPartition.DeviceID
            Set colLogicalDisks = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
                ("ASSOCIATORS OF {Win32_DiskPartition.DeviceID=""" & _
                    objPartition.DeviceID & """} WHERE AssocClass = " & _
            For Each objLogicalDisk In colLogicalDisks
                Wscript.Echo "Logical Disk: " & objLogicalDisk.DeviceID
    I know enough to know it's pulling physicdal and logical disk info out of WMI.. bu I can't tell what it does.. and more so, does it do my mirroring.. ?
    Last edited by Rems; 12th February 2012, 10:30.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: what does this one do ?

The script you found is a script that is not able monitoring and copying files on events. This script shows the disks and disk partitions.

If there would be a vbscipt that is constantly running and that is copying files on change, then you would in 'Task manager/Processes from all users' see an image by the name "wscript.exe". If there is one (or more) image by that name you can use Process Explorer to get the command line that was used to start the process.

If there is a monitoring script running non stop it most likely is using the ExecNotificationQuery method. You could seach the computer for those scripts [search: *vbs / phrase: ExecNotificationQuery ]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Re: what does this one do ?

thanks rems
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point