No announcement yet.

GPO - Startup Script - UAC Problems

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO - Startup Script - UAC Problems

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked a thousand times before but I've done a lot of Googling and can't quite get an answer to this.....

I'm not too good with scripting, though I can usually find and butcher what I need for general administration tasks.

On this occasion I am trying to deploy a peice of client software for an already installed server application. I want to do this automatically using a startup script via a GPO.

The script basically copies the software from the NETLOGON directory to a locally created directory, then launches the setup with a couple of applicaiton specific switches.

What I am finding is that on XP clients all works as expected, however on Windows 7 machines the software has tried to be installed but not completed. I know this as the local clients directory structure has started to be created, ie I see;

c:\program files\client app\folder 1
    c:\program files\client app\folder 2
    c:\program files\client app\folder 3

but not

c:\program files\client app\folder 4
    c:\program files\client app\folder 5

As such I'm guessing the installation is getting as far as it can before UAC kicks in then prevents it completing successfully.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how I can deal with this situation? I know UAC is there for a reason and this would seem to go against its purpose but I can't believe there is not a way to deploy software via a startup script due to UAC.

Thanks in advance!

Re: GPO - Startup Script - UAC Problems

Not an expert with the scripting side but have you taken a look at ACT and creating a shim for the application/script?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

To be honest I am search for a solution that will accomodate all OS version from the one script, if possible.

This particular network has a large number of XP, Vista and Win7 clients. To be able to take care of the installation all from one script would be the most desirable method.

Startup scripts run in the context of the localSystem account locally on a computer and accessing network resources with the credentials of the computer object. Since Startup and Shutdown scripts have System privileges on the local computer, AFAIK UAC is not applicable to the Local System account.

The problem could be caused by zone security configuration (that could explain why only the Windows 7 computers has this problem).
        Or it could be the way the scripts run. Try running the startup script asynchronously (by default startup scripts run synchronously). Is the, in the GPO configured startup script, perhaps calling any other script?
        Or, does it use alternate credentials?
        Can we see the script?

Last edited by Rems; 30th January 2012, 21:19.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts