No announcement yet.

how to configure shortcut to shared folder over the desktop to all the Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to configure shortcut to shared folder over the desktop to all the Domain

hey all!
    my name is matan i'm new in here and searched all over for it.
    i need to create a shortcut over the desktop for an shared folder on the server and need this shortcut will be on every user desktop's, for all the users in the domain

i now understand that i need to create an GPO and link it to the whole domain, in that gpo to create a logon script (in the->user configuration->windows settings-> Scritps (logon/logon)->logon->Properties->add->) select the .VBS file the i created
    i read about it and try it' but i keep get error messages all the time, i think thet the script i used(which i founded over the network) was no good for what i need. please' i dont know anything yet about writing sctipts so i dont know if this is the problem and if this is the right way to do it
    here is all the information:
    i'm using server 2003 sp1
    the name of the server is MSRV the name of the shared folder is Offline (offline files-the folder configured to be accessible also when the client not connected to the server) the correct path for the share: -\\msrv\Offline and it locate on d:\ drive on the server. clients use XP OS.
    the script i used i copy from a website and past it on txt file' changed the path to -\\msrv\Offline and save it as a .vbs

thank you all!!!

Re: how to configure shortcut to shared folder over the desktop to all the Domain

Have you considered using a group policy preference to create your shortcuts for you? The preference setting for shortcuts can be found under Computer Configuration (or User depending on your needs)\Preferences\Windows Settings\Shortcuts.

Comment

Re: how to configure shortcut to shared folder over the desktop to all the Domain

Group Policy Preferences can't be configured from a 2003 server. You would need a 2008 server or other machine that you can run it from. You would also need to make sure that the client extensions are fully pushed out.

I do it through a simple batch file rather than vbs. In this case Desktops are redirected to the server so a shortcut is copied from the NETLOGON share to the user's desktop. It is also overwritten on every login incase it gets changed or deleted.

Code:
      @echo off
      xcopy "\\server\NETLOGON\Remote Connection.RDP" "\\server\Desktops\%username%\Desktop\*.*" /V /Y
      If you don't have redirection you could just use this, if you have redirection this will copy the file to the local profile folder and not the redirected desktop.

Code:
      @echo off
      xcopy "\\server\NETLOGON\Remote Connection.RDP" "%userprofile%\Desktop\*.*" /V /Y
      You could also use a startup script rather than a login script to put it on the all user's desktop. That way none admins won't be able to delete or muck around with it.

Code:
      @echo off
       xcopy "\\server\NETLOGON\Remote Connection.RDP" "%allusersprofile%\Desktop\*.*" /V /Y
      Simples

Comment

Since you are on 2003 you won't be able to use GPP, so scripting is your best bet.
        Can you post the script in here so we can take a look and see what's going on?
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

the script:
          Code:
          Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
           strDesktop = objShell.SpecialFolders("Desktop")
           Set objShortcut= objShell.CreateShortcut(strDesktop & "\Simon's new
           Shortcut.lnk")
           With objShortcut
           .TargetPath = \\msrv\Offline"
           .WorkingDirectory = strDesktop
           .Save
                </script>
             </job>
          </package>

i dont know if the script is correct...
          i'm Confused' so i need to use a group policy?
          i need it for all the users the get into the domain so i think i need to use "user configuration"?!

Comment

Originally posted by sti View Post
            </script>
            </job>
            </package>
            That doesn't seem to be the complete script. The above need clearing up with what i can see. When you run the script manually it should tell you what line the error is.
            I'll request to get this moved to the scripting forum for better support.
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

thanks for all of you!!!
              i did it' and its working!!!
              i found a script that copies a shortcut to the desktop at the logon
              so first aff all i created a shortcut to the share, then i deployd the shortcut in one off the shared folders (in my case- in the offline folder so it will be avialible all the time) so it will be accessible..
              created a .BAT file using this script
              Code:
              copy /Y  \\msrv\Offline\"offline.lnk" "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\*.*"
              Set the location of the shortcut to the shared folder i needed!-in my case offline.lnk --> "offline.lnk"
              then i created a new gpo linked to the domain, and go to ->user configuration->windows settings-> Scritps (logon/logon)->logon->Properties->add and then select the .bat file (whice I placed in the logon script folder- -\\DomainName\SysVol\DOmainName\Policies\{9D214B3B-5435-4B48-BCA7-748346BE3432}\User\Scripts)
              in the GPmc in the right pane i add the users and groups it apply to

hope that u understand me...with my poor english!
              thanks a lot!

Comment

This should work,
                Code:

ShortcutFile = strDesktop & "\Simon's new Shortcut.lnk"

With objShell.CreateShortcut(ShortcutFile)
                   .TargetPath = "\\msrv\Offline"
                   .WorkingDirectory = "."
                   .Save
                End With

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Originally posted by Rems View Post
                  This should work,
                  Code:

ShortcutFile = strDesktop & "\Simon's new Shortcut.lnk"

With objShell.CreateShortcut(ShortcutFile)
                     .TargetPath = "\\msrv\Offline"
                     .WorkingDirectory = "."
                     .Save
                  End With
                  what do i write in this line? the shortcut is located in //msrv/offline/offline.lnk
                  keep it those lines?

Comment

Originally posted by sti View Post
                    what do i write in this line? ShortcutFile = strDesktop & "\Simon's new Shortcut.lnk"
                    the shortcut is located in //msrv/offline/offline.lnk

keep it those 2 lines? With and End With
                    The sample script is creating a new shortcut on the user's desktop, it is not copying/duplicating an existing shortcut that is located on a network path.
                    The variable "shortcutFile" is the file (local path and the name of the shortcut) that should be created.
                    If you like you can change the name to: ShortcutFile = strDesktop & "\offline.lnk"

In your script you didn't add End With and, the target path string was not between quotes - that is why I emphasise those in the sample.

If you copy the sample vbs it should work as it is.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

thank you!!!!!!!!!
                      it working perfectly!

Comment

Working...
                      X