Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VBScript in Windows server 2008 R2 (VBScript 5.8), I cannot seem to find anything

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VBScript in Windows server 2008 R2 (VBScript 5.8), I cannot seem to find anything

Hi all,
    Due to a few programs that I will be using on my upcoming server, I feel that it's necessary for me to learn VBScript, but what I find very odd is that no resources on the internet, or in terms of ebooks (my preferred way of learning if possible), seem to exist for the current version of the technology (version 5.. All of the publications seem to all be from around 2004 or so. Are they still valid though despite the older pub date? Like, though they talk about scripting for servers in terms of the server 2003 family, can it still be applied to 2008 the same way? I'd really appreciate any feedback. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to look this up, and I can't find anything. If anybody knows of any resources that I don't know about, I'd appreciate knowledge of them. Thanks.

Chromebuster
    Last edited by Wired; 27th February 2011, 23:09. Reason: disabled smilies in text

Re: VBScript in Windows server 2008 R2 (VBScript 5., I cannot seem to find anything

Powershell is the new way to go, so you should put some effort into learning that.
    For VBScript, try any of the links here: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=

VBS is still fully supported in 2008
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: VBScript in Windows server 2008 R2 (VBScript 5., I cannot seem to find anything

I am definitely going to do that. It is just because I was told by the developer himself of this particular FTP server that Powershell can't be integrated directly into it for som reason. I forget why now, but I remember him saying it. Though, isn't powershell there so that no special integration is necessary anymore? And the VBScript knowledge I want to have is in terms of performing a given task at a given time, but I'm sure that Powershell can take care of that easier?

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        VBS is still fully supported in 2008
        For the note, there is no Powershell in Server 2008 RTM Core installs, as there is no .Net. Should one need a core install and scripting, VBS is the only alternative for batch files.

-vP

Comment

Great. Thanks guys. now you're really getting me curious. But what does PowerShell have to do with .net anyway? I've read various sources about it, but seeing that I'm in the middle of a ton of other things at the moment, I've never really had time to understand it.

Comment

Powershell has nothing to do with .NET as far as I know.
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'll have to look more into it then. But to my knowledge, the .net framework is required to run it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                Powershell has nothing to do with .NET as far as I know.
                I'm sorry, but it does too: "The .NET Framework 2.0 is required in order to install Windows PowerShell." In addition, all the Powershell objects are .Net objects anyway.

There are hacks to install .Net on Core, but who really cares? R2 Core is different a story.

-vP

Comment

Like I said, as far as I know Learn something new every day!

Comment

But the OP clearly said it was R2 so Powershell on Core is not an issue
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Working...
                    X