Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• visual studio silent installation

Hi All

I wwant to perform visual studio installation in silent mode. i searched thro google for this and foumd some ways

To start with you should stage Visual Studio bits to a network share so that you can use this as your installation source later on. You can accomplish that with the following steps (also described in the VS readme located in the file adminreadme.htm in the Setup subdirectory on VS Disk 1):
    1. Create a folder on your server, such as \\server\vs2005
    2. Create subfolders named \\server\vs2005\vs and \\server\vs2005\msdn
    3. Copy the contents of all CDs labeled Visual Studio 2005 to \\server\vs2005\vs. If prompted, choose yes to overwrite existing files.
    4. Copy the contents from all the CDs labeled MSDN Library for Visual Studio 2005 to \\server\vs2005\msdn. If prompted, choose yes to overwrite existing files.
      NOTE: You can substitute a different MSDN Quarterly Library for the version of MSDN that shipped with Visual Studio 2005 if you choose
    Now that you have a network image, you can create the unattended INI file to install VS 2005 and MSDN using the following steps:
    1. Locate a test computer that has the same operating system that you want to deploy Visual Studio to in your network, and make sure that it does not already have Visual Studio 2005 installed
    2. Install .NET Framework 2.0 on your test computer (because this is required for creating an unattend file for Visual Studio in the next step)
    3. Run \\server\vs2005\vs\setup\setup.exe /createunattend \\server\vs2005\datafiles\vs.ini /vsupdate=\\server\vs2005\MSDN\setup.exe /vsupdateargs="qn"
    4. Open \\server\vs2005\datafiles\vs.ini, go to the [PostSetupLaunchList] section and change """qn""" to /qn
    5. Go to a clean computer without Visual Studio 2005 installed and run \\server\vs2005\vs\setup\setup.exe /unattendfile \\server\vs2005\datafiles\vs.ini to test the unattended installation process
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/arc...24/421314.aspx

I have followed this instructions in this blog but wen i run the unattend file in remote PC i can able to see the setup process is running but after few min it stops , how can i troubleshoot.... is there any other way i can do a silent instalaltion of vs 2005 & 2008

i have the vs 2005 and 2008 dump in a network share

pls guide me

Re: visual studio silent installation

Does setup create a log file somewhere you can check?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i am not sure wer the log files will be stored...

Comment

Wonderful site, that
        First hit here:
        http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...=&oq=&gs_rfai=
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I did review the logs in start -run %temp%

and i could able to resolve the issue

i also found another way of doing the installation in silent mode

i wrote a simple batch file where in i will map the network location of the VS dump and launch the setup.exe with switch /q /full /norestart

save as .bat file and copy in the target PC say for example c:\tools\vs2008.bat

then from your PC you can invoke the batch file using the psexec tool

psexec \\targethostname -u username -p password "c:\tools\vs2008.bat"

this worked for VS 2008 and 2010 all version. but this method didnt work for VS 2005 as there is no silent switch for VS 2005

thanks for your replies

Comment

Well done, and thanks for posting back
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

VS 2005 silent installation was successful using the aron stebnors blog

i got errors in msi 3.1 installer and .net v 2.0 stage found these errors in the error log start - run - %temp%

installed these using the silent switches as mentioned in the blog and rerun the ini file using /UnattendFile switch , the installation was successful.

Comment

Working...
              X